Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
iXF9J2L.png

pxkycUR.png

http://www.foursevens.com/products/ALF-HE

http://www.foursevens.com/products/AAF-HE

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find. You must be checking everyday. lol I love my cr123 mule. I keep it stuck the to the bottom side of my cars trunk. Great user light. This would be a nice addition. If I had both stuck there, then I could choose, mule or beam. Nice. I will likely wait till they are $30 around Christmas lol.

EDIT< The only issue about EDCing this light is that the magnet will stick to everything in or close to your pocket. Looks funny if you carry your keys outside your pocket. It gets a laugh.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this announced earlier today. I love the mules and this will be a nice addition as well. Didn't see a picture of the reflector, about to check the specs and see what the length difference is if any.

Just checked
Atom Al cr123 1.8" long
Atom Al cr123 with reflector 2.1" long

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice with a reflector choise :)
For the magnet issue. Just heat it for some sek with a lighter, a little heat will kill the magnet for good.
If it's unreliable, check if the retaining ring holding the driver. It use to work it's way loose. Tighten it up.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that's pretty. How much did shopping from 4sevens cost to get to Canada?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like small lights. Would buy the AA if it had a medium mode and a larger hot spot.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Actually, a lot like the mini. I don't have access to a camera right now so I can't post pics but the tint on mine is more neutral than the mini and just a little floodier from what I remember. When I get home I'll check.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my AA version today, extremely pleased with this little light. The tint is on the neutral side of cool (best of my recent Foursevens lights) with a nice floody beam. The two levels are well spaced and love the progressive twisty UI. I'll be buying more, home run Foursevens!

jonesy

Enlightened
I put these over in the CPFMP thread, but thought I'd share them here.

I've pocket carried the original AL just about every day since it first came out, and here it is next to its sibling. You can really see the difference of finish from old to new. I also noticed that ALF has a much shorter distance to turn to get from low to high. YMMV if you like that or not. I think the build quality is great for the price point and the UI is wonderful. I'd love to see it on more lights. It fits just fine in a 5th pocket on jeans or khaki's, which is a huge plus to me. Still loving the magnet, which is a great addition (for me).

qsl2Dq9.jpg

They have completely different beam profiles, which makes me want to carry both of them. I think the new one is just slightly more neutral in tone with a profile much more reminiscent of the Mini. Both have their uses.

FJlpc7i.jpg

And since they "stick" together, you can do just that. :)

3R3wj2m.jpg

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I would love to see beamshots of these lights...

Me too. The AL with 360 headband is my headlamp of choice these days. Since I wear glasses, the length of the AL eliminates the glare which can happen when wearing other headlamps that sit closer to the forehead. I also like the two-mode simplicity (no buttons to find, etc.) and the ability to easily remove it temporarily from the headband and then just pop it back in. I think adding the ALF to the mix would add needed versatility since it's so simple to swap them as needed.

I find that sometimes pure flood is too dispersed for outdoor use, and when working/recreating in a group it's really easy to dazzle others inadvertently while wearing the AL. I'm thinking the ALF with some diffuser film on the lens might provide a better beam profile than the AL for activities like night hiking, for instance. I'm presuming also that the ALF's more concentrated beam will appear brighter on both modes than the AL's.

I think seeing some beam shots will help confirm my theories.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
There are a couple of things that worry me about the suitability of using the ALF as a headlamp...

1) Beam angle is relatively narrow... 12 degrees spot, and 53.5 degrees spill. I'm concerned the tight beam might produce tunnel vision.
2) No medium output level... 6 lumens and 110 lumens on the AL works fine due to dispersed/mule beam profile, but I'm afraid that 110 lumens through the ALF's tight reflector will be too bright for many general headlamp uses.

On the plus side, the ALF can be rapidly swapped with the AL as needed, since both use the same 360 headband adapter bit and magnetic attachment. And I'm sure that there won't be any mode skipping, PWM flicker visible in the rain, etc.

By comparison, the Mini ML-X has what seems (on paper anyway) like a better beam profile for this use...
1) 15 degrees spot and 82 degrees spill.
2) 54 lumens mid mode seems like a good level for general headlamp use... (though 252 lumens max mode is way beyond what I'd need).

Additionally, the Mini is only 2/10ths of an inch longer than the ALF but weighs half as much, so comfort is likely to be at least marginally better.

So I'm sort of torn between these two options. Those who have both, which would you have for headlamp use?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see the reflectors. I really liked the mule version until it became unreliable.

Im with you on this. My CR123 ATOM stopped having 2 modes almost the same month I got it when new over a year ago. Thankfully; in Direct Drive with XML2 it can now give usefull 1000 lumens for 5 min or with Surefire CR123 cell about 200 lumens for over an hour. Since its Direct Drive no issues with drivers wearing out or consuming power to run the current. Love my DD lights and that's almost all I own and have for last 8 years.

bigC

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im with you on this. My CR123 ATOM stopped having 2 modes almost the same month I got it when new over a year ago. Thankfully; in Direct Drive with XML2 it can now give usefull 1000 lumens for 5 min or with Surefire CR123 cell about 200 lumens for over an hour. Since its Direct Drive no issues with drivers wearing out or consuming power to run the current. Love my DD lights and that's almost all I own and have for last 8 years.

Yes, I also have one and it is my most unreliable light. Annoying flicker problems on high. Tightening the innards works some, but not completely. I don't recommend this 4sevens line-up. The other line-ups are great, though. Except they only come in cool white. :(

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like small lights. Would buy the AA if it had a medium mode and a larger hot spot.

Yes.
1:100 is too much... should be 1:10:100.
Or in the case of Atom A0 Nichia, .3:3:30 instead of .3:30.