How to ID a fake "brand X" ?? (Trustfire in this case)

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
A recent purchase has me thinking it may be helpful to have a thread on how to ID fakes.

Having read several reports of fake name brand flashlights, how would a person go about telling for sure if they got a fake or not?

What I'm finding on Trustfire is the Name/logo should be etched/engraved in, not stencil painted on.
Can anyone confirm this?

What other brands do you all know of a simple way to tell fake/real thing?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) I consider all *fire products to be fakes, except for Surefire... the name they're ripping off. :)

I have just plain flat given up on *fires. Nein Danke!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, right?!? Counterfeits of counterfeit clones. It's just insane. Who in their right mind would counterfeit an $8 light?

That's dedication to counterfeiting, at least.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hahaha:

This thread.

I hope someone is really PO'd @ "Trustfire" right now. ha ha.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I confess, it was me. :sssh::sssh::sssh:

I took some old coin roll tubes and inserted counterfeit 5mm led's over driven @ 2,000 volts. They're SUPER BRITE, for a split second.

I'm now changing the marketing to show 25,000,000 candle power

I think they'll sell. :twothumbs:twothumbs

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I confess, it was me. :sssh::sssh::sssh:

I took some old coin roll tubes and inserted counterfeit 5mm led's over driven @ 2,000 volts. They're SUPER BRITE, for a split second.

I'm now changing the marketing to show 25,000,000 candle power

I think they'll sell. :twothumbs:twothumbs

:whoopin:

Keisari

Newly Enlightened
A recent purchase has me thinking it may be helpful to have a thread on how to ID fakes.

Having read several reports of fake name brand flashlights, how would a person go about telling for sure if they got a fake or not?

What I'm finding on Trustfire is the Name/logo should be etched/engraved in, not stencil painted on.
Can anyone confirm this?

What other brands do you all know of a simple way to tell fake/real thing?

Without a specific reference to Trustfire, these Ali Baba "brands" are just names someone uses to sell generic Chinese products to consumers. Someone may start using a name that somewhat resembles a respected brand, someone else sees it's working and does the same. Then a third guy comes along and his brand is the same but with a typo. Fourth variation would be to invent something that sounds a little like the previous two. Like SureFire, TrustFire, FandyFire. Oops, I actually did refer to TrustFire. Sorry. And what the heck is FandyFire? Who would buy something called FandyFire, unless they were Chinese like the guy who came up with that name in the first place? And no, this was not a racist or otherwise hostile remark at anyone, but a linguistic one. I mean, really. FandyFire. Oh yes please. I can easily come up with a dozen as silly brand names, but with my attitude all of those would be obscene, so I won't post any of them.

Not to say that Chinese products are bad, all the contrary. When buying generic Chinese, you get what you get. Not necessarily what you wanted, asked for or paid for. Good flashlight hosts and even good electronics can be obtained this way.

Just don't think this is in any way related to purchasing a quality name brand that has warranty and stuff.

When it comes to batteries, just don't. Quality batteries are cheap. Yes, I will sometimes buy cheap no-name or garbage brand batteries, but I treat them as such. As unsafe or at least marginal. I don't bother asking if they might be fakes. There is no such thing as fakes with these fakes.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I'm wondering if it is possible that the knock off TrustFire might actually be better than the real one.

FandyFire and SpiderFire have always been my favorite knock-off names. The only one I ever bought was a 2xCR123 SpiderFire host and a cheap green LED dropin for my ex who wanted a bright green light.

I like the concept of the knock-offs because they are inexpensive and funny, but I have a lot of lights I can actually depend on, so I never really buy any of the _____fires.

chris1976x

Newly Enlightened
I know this might be quite controversial, but I would say heck of a lot of TrustFire batteries are actually very good, they have seriously suffered from this now popular way of thinking "everything with fire is rubbish".

My company tests many batteries Efest, trustfire, Xtar, panasonic, Samsung, LG, Senybor, etc...you name it i've probably tested it. We buy most of our products directly from the manufacturer, the same can be said for TrustFire, the TrustFire batteries that we test are generally very good cells, especially recently with their new higher drain IMR's, I dont care much for some of their older ICR 18650's but the 14500 ICR protected battery is a good cell.

The problem with trustfire is that it sounds like ultrafire and all the other none traceable fire brands. Earlier trustfire batteries used to over state capacity. Ones like 18350 1200mah which is actually about 750mah-800mah (which is perfectly acceptable so strange why they bothered lying about it)

As for the OPs original post. No trustfire dont always etch the name in on their torches, it is often painted. Trustfire dont really have much anti counterfeit measures on their torches at the moment. They stick a trustfire hologaphic sticker on their batteries but dont tend to do for the torches.

The batteries are a little easier to tell fake from genuine. TrustFire seal individually their batteries and put a holographgic sticker on them. But its the individually wrapped in cellophane that normally gives it away. A lot of fakes are sealed as 2 together.

Keisari

Newly Enlightened
I know this might be quite controversial, but I would say heck of a lot of TrustFire batteries are actually very good, they have seriously suffered from this now popular way of thinking "everything with fire is rubbish".
I have to agree, and I do sometimes buy these suspicious batteries myself. However, I would not recommend that unless no other options are available. Most of the time something better has been just a little more expensive or even equally priced, and the risk of receiving a poor battery might not be worth it.

The last time I bought TrustFire li-ions was when I found no alternatives in the size I wanted, protected 32650's. They appear identical to those tested here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/TrustFire TF32650 6000mAh (Black-red) UK.html

I have not really used them for anything, but they charged up fine. 1 out of 3(a little lower on voltage when received) seems to be faulty, and slowly self discharges. Luckily the intended application works with just 2.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Uranusfire? I think i saw some pictures of them here in CPF :)

Got one! The Uranusfire dive light, came with Uranusfire battery. It's not that bad, really! :) I like Uranusfire! (lol)

Next, to pick out which model of "FU brother" flashlight I'm going to get. Really. That's a brand.

Soft spot in my heart for whimsical names.

nbp

Flashaholic
Got one! The Uranusfire dive light, came with Uranusfire battery. It's not that bad, really! :) I like Uranusfire! (lol)

Next, to pick out which model of "FU brother" flashlight I'm going to get. Really. That's a brand.

Soft spot in my heart for whimsical names.

What?! Never heard of that one! Where can I get one? I want to use it to light up a target while I turn my pistol sideways and pop some caps in it.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
What?! Never heard of that one! Where can I get one? I want to use it to light up a target while I turn my pistol sideways and pop some caps in it.

Feast your eyes upon the FU Brother 281 "10 Watt" light. Over 9 billion Chinalumens!
http://www.tmart.com/FUBROTHER-281-...terproof-Flashlight-Torch-Silver_p152074.html

• This torch uses of a 10W bulb / LED, producing very bright beam of light
  • This flashlight uses a smooth reflector.The smooth reflector provides a more concentrated beam, and therefore a better throw
  • The body of this flashlight is built of high quality aluminum alloy, and it has a very solid construction
  • Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent
  • Excellent waterproof, suitable for outdoor environment, adverse weather conditions except for diving
It lasts 100,000 hours. This is a powerful and dangerous tool. Heed the warnings.

• 1. Please do not irradiate it to human eyes, especially for children, or else, it may cause temporary blindness for the harsh light of flashlights
  • 2. Do not meddle with the head of torch or separate the reflector and the bulb
  • 3. Wipe flashlight with soft fabric after use
  • 4. In case of erosion causing roughness of the torch movements, try to clear and air it
When treat respect FU Brother is friend and companion good times.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hahahaha. My favorite is from the review. Nothing says FUBROTHER like a pink button cover.

...not sure why the tail button is pink with a red star, but I got over it.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
it lights up a path SO BRIGHT cars and people take notice!!

Even cars have no choice but to notice FU Brother. Super smooth!!

No one dares counterfeit FU Brother. No one. They invented lumens.

It is preferred by Ninjas worldwide and is the official flashlight brand of the Yakuza.

Last edited:

välineurheilija

Enlightened
You guys crack me up! ��
Here i was drinking my morning coffee(yes it is morning here) and now after reading your comments there is coffee all over my ipad ��