Streamlight Sidewinder Military version?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, it's available for purchase from just about any Streamlight retailer.

I can't think of any issues when travelling domestically, internationally I don't know. I believe most of the restrictions are centered around devices that can "see" IR rather than producing it, but I have no first-hand experience with this.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're fine.

I have one and its very useful. I actually have the compact 2 model, which cna use a AA or CR123. Can also use a AAA if you wrap it in a bit of tape. Ir mode is brighter than the ir led on a pvs14, and of course has selectable levels of output and a strobe.

Helmet mount is very solid. Clip is solid and has held up very well through tons of training exercises, a deployment and getting tossed around attached to my helmet. Has held up better than the exposed three position seitches on the surefire helmet light.

The model I had "C4 LED" is, I believe either an xpe-2 or a samsung 35 series LED. Cold white, about 5500-6000k. Even with the low output and small reflector, it has a very tight, intense beam. Max output itll throw a tight beam 50 or so meters. The corona is very dim in comparison to the hotspot, but still useably bright up close.

Red is patchy and ringy. I took the bezel off of mine, dropped out the reflector and plastic insert and carefuly sanded the led. Much smoother now, but without a "hotspot" it doesnt punch as far. Definitely a low output, close use light.

Blue is smoother than the red, very bright, I personally dont use it much.

IR is useful if you have nod's. Again, a little brighter than the inbuild pvs14 ir led.

Switch is pretty easy to manipulate, even with gloves on. Button is firm, no real click sensation, but a definite press is required. Must lift the outer switch bezel and rotate it to set it to each LED.

Water resistance hasnt been an issue. Even after several openings/closing of the bezel, it is still well sealed.

Battery life is pretty good. I havent had to use it for extended periods, but a lot of on again off again useage I go long periods between battery swaps.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Thanks

But my question is for example, when I go on a camping trip overseas, can I take this with me or will it raise some issues since it is equipped with IR?
So in other words, does this version have restrictions in other countries due to the fact that it has IR?

I really want to have the IR in it (even though I don't need it), Just really want to get my hands on the military version.

dss_777

Enlightened
It may, in fact, be regulated under ITAR, preventing you from leaving the country with it. https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

If so, you would be in violation if you transported it out of the country, with fines up to $500,000 per violation. That'd be one expensive light!

This is one more succinct explanation of what's prohibited, and it could include lights like this, from this lights listing page on Optics Planet: http://www.opticsplanet.com/export.html

Hard to say if other countries have import restrictions. I wouldn't do it.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
How can the TSA guys making like 10 bucks an hour know if this light is equipped with IR features?
It would be in my carry-on bag anyways without the box.

If its too risky, then I would just leave it here at home.

There is a Aviation model out there instead of the military one. So maybe I can get away with buying that.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
How can the TSA guys making like 10 bucks an hour know if this light is equipped with IR features?
It would be in my carry-on bag anyways without the box.

If its too risky, then I would just leave it here at home.

There is a Aviation model out there instead of the military one. So maybe I can get away with buying that.

FWIW, ITAR can apply to any "tactical" light.

What's interesting to you about these lights?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
The military model are rugged. Durable, and waterproof. And has the red light too, which would be a positive for me to read in the dark without disturbing others while there sleeping.

It would be pretty risky to get caught with these during transport. So I will pass on that.

I know they have like a non-military aviation version which by some are used by aviation pilots.
Would wanted the military model, because its rugged and waterproof.

So is there a NON-Military version that's as rugged and has the red LED as well?
Like I said, I do not need the IR feature.

So the only reason I wanted the military model, because its waterproof and rugged.

chazz

Enlightened
So the only reason I wanted the military model, because its waterproof and rugged.

As far as I know the only differences between the different versions is the emitter options and that the military model UI is L-M-H, I think all the other models are H-M-L. If I get one it will be the Mil version, since I prefer a light that starts in low.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
What models of this light that are not ITAR controlled and then I can take it with me?
The IR feature I don't care about and do not need it. A
s long as its rugged, has a red light, and basic white light, then I am happy.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
....sidewinder sportsman. No IR.

If all you want is red/white, consider the Photon Proton or Sunwayman D20a. Both are nice.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
What models of this light that are not ITAR controlled and then I can take it with me?
The IR feature I don't care about and do not need it. A
s long as its rugged, has a red light, and basic white light, then I am happy.

As far as I know none of the Sidewinders are ITAR controlled, there is nothing particularly special about a low-powered 880nm IR LED. The United States Munitions List is pretty specific about what's included and there is no overarching category for "tactical" lights or flashlights with IR capability. If you start talking about devices that can be used for target acquisition, "spoofing" military IR signatures, jamming IR, and stuff like that, then it's a different story.

Even if they were covered under ITAR, those restrictions only apply if you are exporting or otherwise transferring the product/technology/knowledge to certain foreign nationals. Traveling with something is not exporting it. If it were, hunters would not be able to take their firearms on hunting trips outside the US (just to give one example).

As far as having complications during travel, foreign or domestic, anything is possible. There have been cases reported of overenthusiastic TSA employees flagging items for unsubstantiated reasons as well as "contraband" being confiscated in some foreign countries because an official wanted it for himself. That's a whole different discussion.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased this light. Not sure if it is Military or not, but according to the website's description of the light, the features list includes IR mode....Guess I have to check it once it arrives if has IR or not.
I would of been happier if there was no IR at all.
Now I am worried like crazy...

What if I need to take this light along with me overseas?
What will happen?

Been searching on several sites that do sell these lights and some do have ITAR warnings and some do not. And I do not even see any warnings on Streamlight's site either. The ones that do have the ITAR warnings, are mostly small independent dealers.

I need confirmation if it will be OK to travel with this light.

Of course, I can leave the light at home, but this light is perfect for camping due to its waterproof and rugged design.

Would appreciate some further guidance.

Last edited:

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
So no one knows if the IR version is ITAR controlled or not?
In that case, I will just have to leave it home to be on the safe side...

It is very confusing.

Amazon does not have this listed as ITAR controlled, but most independent retail websites do.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to prove a negative. I have seen nothing that indicates that it is covered by ITAR.

If you're still so concerned, I would suggest sending an e-mail to Streamlight. I also encourage you to consider the differences between exporting an item (where ITAR applies) versus traveling with it (where ITAR does not apply).

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
A response from Streamlight....

No, the Sidewinder is not ITAR controlled.

So in this case, will I be OK to travel with this light overseas?

Thanks

m4a1usr

Enlightened
A response from Streamlight....

No, the Sidewinder is not ITAR controlled.

So in this case, will I be OK to travel with this light overseas?

Thanks

If you have the email from Streamlight stating the above than no matter how your TSA experience turns out it's doubtful any attempt to prosecute would be successful. Doesn't mean TSA would not make a confiscation if an inspector was misinformed or behaving in a less than informed manner. You could lose the light due to agency behavior. But from what you have stated coming from Streamlight there would be no violation with the State Dept rules (ITAR) and TSA rules are clearly stated as you enter the inspection area at each airport. I'm a frequent traveler and have looked at the items posted as banned and not allowed to be passed thru the inspection area. There is no mention of IR devices. But like I stated some AR inspector may take exception and make a decision that is not in your favor.

So there is some possibility it could be taken. However if you check the prohibited items list, http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items, there is no mention of IR lights and to be quite honest I was surprised at how lenient the rules for flashlights actually is.

Last edited:

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this explanation. I got the light just now, and to be honest, I would say its "an OK" light.
I would just leave it home then. But I really do not mind if the TSA take it, because I am not really all for it that much....:)
Will keep it as a backup light, but not for as primary light.

The beam light output just sucks...To be honest. For the price I paid, the light output could of been higher. But oh well.

Latest posts