How are the Dorcy LED lights?

K-T

*Moderator*
You might want to post this in the right forum to receive an answer, also a search shows lots of information about these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Many of us would like to get our hands on this light based on our general approval of the Dorcy AAA. It seems to be in short supply.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy 1AAA single LED is one of the best buys in the flashlight world. Less than $6 at Walmart. Unfortunately the 1AA 3LED is not as easy to find, so most of us don't have any experience with it yet.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
The Dorcy 1AAA single LED is one of the best buys in the flashlight world. Less than $6 at Walmart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'll bet I've bought 20 of these little buggers, and given away over a dozen of 'em. Recipients love 'em, from kids to old folks. Great value, and a nice design. I like 'em too, since I can carry, place, and use them without a care. I just wish they made 'em in black.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my Wal Mart has some 3led versions. Is there any interest in these?

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
The Dorcy 1AAA single LED is one of the best buys in the flashlight world. Less than $6 at Walmart. Unfortunately the 1AA 3LED is not as easy to find, so most of us don't have any experience with it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! I've been scouring the local WalMarts, OSH's, and B&M stores. I finally [just yesterday] went to a TruValue store and ordered one. I think it's about $15 or $16. I'll let you know when I pick it up next week.
Don't know where else they would have 'em.
There was a rumour in a thread here that they would start selling them at Target in Spring 04. That would be nice!
I intend to drop-in a 1W Luxeon once I get my mitts on one.

Good Luck!
Danno

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Every time I stop at WalMart, I look to see if any are there. I bought a hand ful of the Dorcy AAA for gifts at Christmas. I love these little lights and plan to grab a Dorcy AA as soon as they show up.

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
I think my Wal Mart has some 3led versions. Is there any interest in these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, how much?

franken2

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for these also and would probably buy a half dozen of them.
I also like the 1led aaa model and have also given some of those as gifts.

dda

Newly Enlightened
I have a black dorcy 1aaa that I bought back in early fall. I have bought several of these lights since and have not seen another black one. The others are gold,silver-gray, red and blue.

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
Wow I saw them at my Walmart this week and thought "Ya right, what a hunk of junk that must be" and passed it up. Guess I will have to go get one.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I handed out 15 of the single led version for xmas, all I could buy at Wally World. Everyone was really tickled - some went out after dark to play and the others were fiddling with them all day.

Decent build, durable enough and a great value all around. Hell, less than 6 bucks - how can you go wrong?.

Got two of the three led versions also,(all they had). Same deal as the single led. Great value all around, puts out a bit more light then a PT Attutide in a better form factor. No arguments, everyone should have one.

These are going to really kick the higher priced lights out there.

Al

danielo_d

Enlightened
How much were the 1AA 3LED version at WallyWorld? [...if that's where you got them.]

Inquiring minds wants to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Danno

jtice

Flashaholic
Havnet we been looking for these 3 led 1AA ones for ,,, EVER?!!?

These seem to be very hard to find.
I would be interested in one in silver or black if you find any.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have two of the 3LED 1AA Dorcys. One is stock, the other is a one-of-a-kind 1W Luxeon mod from MR_Bulk. The mod is my EDC -- just love it... bright and runs forever on a single cell. The 3LED unit is brighter than an Arc AAA and lasts longer, but is bigger. It's a pocket EDC, not a keychain EDC. I still have an Arc AAA on my keychain for backup.

A few niggling mechanical points on the Dorcys:

1) The lanyard ring on the tailswitch is thin and prone to falling off, plus it restricts the movement of the tailswitch. I've taken them off both lights. I haven't come up with a suitable lanyard solution yet.

2) In time, the crummy black plasticky grips on the head and the body of the light tend to absorb skin oils and loosen up a lot, sliding down the body of the light toward the tailswitch, interfering a bit with the ability to screw the light into the on-position. I removed both. Makes the light look 'naked', but solves the problem. Feels cool to the hand in the winter, though.

3) There are 3 thin O-rings on the light: on the head, end of the body and in the tailswitch. When you press the tailswitch, the O-ring moves away from the tailcap, allowing the possible entry of water. Avoid using the tailswitch in pouring rain or very wet conditions.

Overall, given the price, a very nice light.

I'm looking forward to Dorcy's first Luxeon lights.

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
I have two of the 3LED 1AA Dorcys. One is stock, the other is a one-of-a-kind 1W Luxeon mod from MR_Bulk. The mod is my EDC -- just love it... bright and runs forever on a single cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been wondering, what is the approximate runtime?
Haven't seen any posted yet for the mod.

TIA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danno

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
41-4238%20AA-3%20Silver.jpg

This is going to be one interesting light!