Hong Kong post to USA delay

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
I found this on the HK post website

"Due to large accumulation of mail at New York, the United States of America, mail delivery services (including Speedpost) to New York are subject to delay until further notice" - Feb 5

Has anyone had to deal with this yet? Does anyone have any ideas when it will be resolved?

Thanks

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had 3 packages shipped from Croatia on 13th of January to different addresses in US, took a whole month and all three delivered on 13/14th of Feb... Tracking thru USPS was a joke - no info and only the day before delivery some info appeared updated later with delivery confirmation...

Also have couple of packages shipped on 3rd of Feb, none delivered so far; then again one package on 11th of Feb, same thing...

I see delays in delivering packages from US to me as well, both from private addresses and merchants... and up to end of 2014 (including holiday season) it was normal, 10 days average both ways... then in 2015 it seems it all just broke down... (at least they are delivered with delay, fingers crossed for no lost mail)...

I sure hope USPS picks up the game...

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS was absolutely crushed this past holiday season. I lost a few packages, personally.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had very good results with using USPS and overseas shipments. Purchased a gas tank from Bulgaria and other than sitting in New York Postal Customs for a week all went well.

FedEx in the past year has gotten flaky. Placed two orders from Illumination supply. One shipped via USPS the other FedEx. The FedEx order was received a week later than the USPS order. This was a few weeks before Christmas.

China post had averaged 10-12 days for delivery from order to receipt.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
... FedEx in the past year has gotten flaky. Placed two orders from Illumination supply. One shipped via USPS the other FedEx. The FedEx order was received a week later than the USPS order.
That would be unusual for FedEx Express but normal for FedEx Ground.

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys... so what should I expect for something that leaves HK by air to New York within the week?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys... so what should I expect for something that leaves HK by air to New York within the week?

Big. Fat. Delay. Some are saying HK isn't going to even begin to get over the Lunar New Year hump until at least March 5.

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone! My package arrived today, a solarforce C2000. I don't know much about shipping but it seems everything is back on track..

Stream

Enlightened
HK to Sweden is crazy slow, I have been waiting about 40 days now for the Zebralight I ordered.

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Nothing like a story like that to realize how lucky I really am. Is that air mail?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Stream

Enlightened
Yes, airmail. I can't imagine the actual journey taking nearly six weeks, so it must be stuck in sorting hell. Mail from Hong Kong tends to vary greatly in delivery time; sometimes I will get my packages in only 1 or 2 weeks, and other times it can take over 4 weeks. I'm pretty sure this is the longest I have waited, though. The tracking number isn't much use. I've contacted Zebralight, and they assured me they would know if the package had been lost, and that registered airmail can take 2 to 6 weeks. I guess it depends on the season, they may still be backed up from Christmas and New Year. Although, I have recently ordered other items that have arrived within 2-3 weeks during this time.

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm... waiting on one important package with parts and material since Feb 12th, I thought I'd be safe before CNY but apparently it did get stuck anyway... who knows when it will show up... :(

APM80

Newly Enlightened
I ordered 18650 batteries from Fasttech using Hong Kong Post and that was Jan 17. I'm still waiting, however, it is my understanding that it could take up to 2 months. So I guess I'll hurry up and wait.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Mail to from the US was impacted greatly by a strike at the US international harbors.

Mail from one country to the next is bundled into huge batches and shipped to the destination country, where it is delivered to that country's postal service and sorted and injected into the normal mail flow. Any mail that has gone by boat has been delayed for several weeks.

An interesting factoid; By international treaty, the money collected by a post office is kept when mail goes international. If I send a letter from the US to an aunt in Japan, it goes like this. USPS charges under a dollar. They deliver the letter to a central point in Japan. The Japan post office absorbs all costs of sorting and delivering the letter, no matter where it goes in that country, or how much it costs to deliver.

The good news; they are clearing up the backlog of ships waiting offshore of the US, so things will get back to normal.

Dan

Stream

Enlightened
So after waiting over two months I got an email on Wednesday from ZL telling me that they are reshipping the light. A couple of weeks ago they told me the light was in customs, and that I would have it in one or two weeks. Apparently it must have been lost. I got their last email on April 1st, so I hope it's not a bad April fools joke :ironic:. On the other hand, I have never waited over two months for any package from China or HK, so it makes sense that the package could be lost. Will be interesting to see how long it will take to arrive after they reshipped it.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - 2 months? I'm pissed I'm now over 1 month on one of my deliveries from China (I paid $10 for "airmail" lol)... and still no ETA.

I'm done with ordering anything directly from China anymore. Forget the good warranty, customer service, satisfaction guarantee, etc., if something is/goes wrong with the light - it's going in the garbage. I don't have patience to a track 2-3 month turn-arounds with so many weak/no-recourse links in the delivery system.

Stream

Enlightened
My light finally arrived around Thursday, which means I have waited a total of about 13 weeks! I'm excited to finally have my light, but I can honestly say I have never waited this long for anything to arrive by post from China or anywhere else.