JETbeam RRT-01 Change Led

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Has anyone here changed the emitter on there rrt-01 ? I am sick of CW and wouldn't mind it being a neutral.or warm white.

If you did change the emitter what.board and led did you choose and where did you get it ?

RobinGonzo

Newly Enlightened
I did... But I changed to a triple Nichia.
It's a bit tricky to open it. At first I twisted the wires and cut em off. :(

Use some heat (hairdryer)! And try to only twist the bezel, otherwise you week have the same problem

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
I did... But I changed to a triple Nichia.
It's a bit tricky to open it. At first I twisted the wires and cut em off. :(

Use some heat (hairdryer)! And try to only twist the bezel, otherwise you week have the same problem

Yes please explain and send us to the board and optics

Last edited:

RobinGonzo

Newly Enlightened
Vinz made this for me :)
He used his lathe for it to make a new heatsink ( led +Optik are less high then the original reflector) and he widened the head to get it better in. (hope to sad this correct)
Finally he also had to make the led base and Optik a bit smaller... I have some pics on German tlf I will have a look for the link later.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Changing the emitter on the RRT-01 isn't hard. Here's how to do it:

1. Using pliers, grip the section of the head ABOVE the magnetic ring and below the stainless steel bezel. To avoid damaging the finish, I recommend using rubber jawed pliers or wrapping tape around that section of the light. Tip: 3m Rubber indoor/outdoor stairway grip tape works GREAT for turning your regular pliers into rubber jawed pliers.
2. Using a second pliers grip the bezel. Unscrew to remove the bezel and lens. (above steps may or may not be required. My TCR-01 needed it, but my RRT-01's bezel wasn't threadlocked and came off easily just with hands).
3. Turn the light upside down to dump out the reflector.
4. lift out the plastic isolation disk around the LED. I find a small hooked dental-pick like tool from the hardware store is ideal for this.
5. At this point the star is revealed and changing the emitter is just like with any other light. The compartment is sized to accept any standard 16mm star. I recommend an XML2 or XPL with 3D tint.

Alternatively, you could convert the light into a triple.
1. There's a ledge halfway down the reflector compartment at just the right height for a triple star (or at least there was on my TCR-01). It's 18mm across, so you'll need to file the edges of the 20mm triple star to fit. If you're converting a TCR-01, make sure the edges of the contact pads taper inward so they don't short against the head or insulate the outer edges with arctic alumina epoxy.
2. Once filed to fit, insert it and your choice of Carclo triple TIR optic. Note: you may need to file down any the bur on the side of the optic so the optic inserts fully. The top edge of the optic will be just above the rim of the head. Also, file down the outside edge of each leg of the optic with a small handfile so that the optic fits without bending the legs.
3. You may need to remove the driver and lengthen the driver wires to cover the additional distance to the higher star. I did this by soldering small lengths of wire to the ends of the stock wires and then insulating them with kapton tape or arctic alumina epoxy.
4. To make wiring more convenient I also drilled a hole through the center of the original LED platform for the new LED wires to pass through.
5. Screw in the bezel without the glass lens and you're done. With my TCR-01, the entire conversion to a triple Nichia 219B took just 3 hours.
6. Optional: If you want you could build and add a copper heatsink below the triple star. I didn't do this on mine and haven't noticed any heat issues. I don't think the stock driver pulls enough current to need this as long as you use a direct copper triple star.

WARNING: The reason why you do not want to just grip the entire head and turn the bezel is this: The head is actually constructed in 2 pieces, with a second set of threads directly below where it narrows underneath the magnetic ring. If you grip the light below the magnetic ring there's a chance those threads may unscrew instead of the bezel threads. If that happens with the driver installed, you'll torque and destroy the driver wires. Even worse, due to the way the driver wires are mounted they are basically NOT replaceable. If you destroy the driver wires you'll probably need a new driver.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Vinz made this for me :)
He used his lathe for it to make a new heatsink ( led +Optik are less high then the original reflector) and he widened the head to get it better in. (hope to sad this correct)
Finally he also had to make the led base and Optik a bit smaller... I have some pics on German tlf I will have a look for the link later.
Damn I asked Vinh to make one for me and he said it wouldn't fit! I must be on his bad side.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn I asked Vinh to make one for me and he said it wouldn't fit! I must be on his bad side.
Don't believe it to be the case at all (being on his bad side). Might be because Vinz is a different modder than Vinh, and located in Germany iirc ;)

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Changing the emitter on the RRT-01 isn't hard. Here's how to do it:

1. Using pliers, grip the section of the head ABOVE the magnetic ring and below the stainless steel bezel. To avoid damaging the finish, I recommend using rubber jawed pliers or wrapping tape around that section of the light. Tip: 3m Rubber indoor/outdoor stairway grip tape works GREAT for turning your regular pliers into rubber jawed pliers.
2. Using a second pliers grip the bezel. Unscrew to remove the bezel and lens. (above steps may or may not be required. My TCR-01 needed it, but my RRT-01's bezel wasn't threadlocked and came off easily just with hands).
3. Turn the light upside down to dump out the reflector.
4. lift out the plastic isolation disk around the LED. I find a small hooked dental-pick like tool from the hardware store is ideal for this.
5. At this point the star is revealed and changing the emitter is just like with any other light. The compartment is sized to accept any standard 16mm star. I recommend an XML2 or XPL with 3D tint.

Alternatively, you could convert the light into a triple.
1. There's a ledge halfway down the reflector compartment at just the right height for a triple star (or at least there was on my TCR-01). It's 18mm across, so you'll need to file the edges of the 20mm triple star to fit. If you're converting a TCR-01, make sure the edges of the contact pads taper inward so they don't short against the head or insulate the outer edges with arctic alumina epoxy.
2. Once filed to fit, insert it and your choice of Carclo triple TIR optic. Note: you may need to file down any the bur on the side of the optic so the optic inserts fully. The top edge of the optic will be just above the rim of the head.
3. You may need to remove the driver and lengthen the driver wires to cover the additional distance to the higher star. I did this by soldering small lengths of wire to the ends of the stock wires and then insulating them with kapton tape or arctic alumina epoxy.
4. To make wiring more convenient I also drilled a hole through the center of the original LED platform for the new LED wires to pass through.
5. Screw in the bezel without the glass lens and you're done. With my TCR-01, the entire conversion to a triple Nichia 219B took just 3 hours.
6. Optional: If you want you could build and add a copper heatsink below the triple star. I didn't do this on mine and haven't noticed any heat issues. I don't think the stock driver pulls enough current to need this as long as you use a direct copper triple star.

WARNING: The reason why you do not want to just grip the entire head and turn the bezel is this: The head is actually constructed in 2 pieces, with a second set of threads directly below where it narrows underneath the magnetic ring. If you grip the light below the magnetic ring there's a chance those threads may unscrew instead of the bezel threads. If that happens with the driver installed, you'll torque and destroy the driver wires. Even worse, due to the way the driver wires are mounted they are basically NOT replaceable. If you destroy the driver wires you'll probably need a new driver.

Have you tried using one of these instead of using the reflector:
http://www.ledsupply.com/cree-xpg-led-optics

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you didn't need to file the legs in the optic? Can you fit a glass lense?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Actually I think the glass lens probably would fit. The bezel wouldn't screw on quite as tight, but there's probably room.

Having glass directly against a TIR optic changes the beam pattern making it slightly wider. It also absorbs some light so reduces brightness a little, thought enough to be noticeable. Personally, I don't think a glass lens is needed with triple TIR. The optical acrylic TIR is quite tough. I've never had one get damaged with pocket carry. And even if it did, they're dirt cheap.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you didn't need to file the legs in the optic?...

Oh yeah.... I forgot to mention that. I used a small hand file to flatten the back edge of the legs. This was needed so they'd fit in the 18mm space. This was very quick and easy to do. I figure I took off maybe 1/3 of the outside edge of each leg.

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks! I was actually going to do this to a Sunwayman V10R Ti. I was experimenting with some spare triple boards and optics. I wasn't going to do it but am leaning towards doing it now. Sheesh. I wanted to use an optic drilled for trits but the light is already tritted up so I'll skip it. Thanks for the tips.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Actually I think the glass lens probably would fit. The bezel wouldn't screw on quite as tight, but there's probably room.

Having glass directly against a TIR optic changes the beam pattern making it slightly wider. It also absorbs some light so reduces brightness a little, thought enough to be noticeable. Personally, I don't think a glass lens is needed with triple TIR. The optical acrylic TIR is quite tough. I've never had one get damaged with pocket carry. And even if it did, they're dirt cheap.
Are they water resistant?

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened

So I noticed a little bit of loss when using a lens over the triple carclo optic, really it isn't needed especially if something were to happen to the surface I could replace as I have many in stock.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carclo lenses are a solid piece of plastic. It's just as water resistant as a glass lens. Even the 10507 lens with the little holes over the LED should be safe against water. The holes don't go all the way through the lens.

The lenses are also really cheap. If you're concerned about it getting damaged, just buy a spare or two.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was thinking more of the connection of the carclo to the head being water proof as opposed to a glass lens the head is designed for.