Surefire G3 Setups

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came across a chunk of G3's and have the opportunity to keep one. I was wondering what setups might be out there for this light as I was in awe of the build quality over SureFires more modern offerings.. Also, I've heard the G2 / G3 are less than submersion proof, mainly the switch.... is this true? Are they merely rainproof? They sure don't look like it!

Any user input of any configuration would be greatly appreciated, curious to see what setups might be out there...

Thanks!

Forrest

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do:

P90 and 2x17500 cells for guilt free incan lumens
Lots of people like to make these "cold weather" lights for outdoor use since the bodies don't get cold like aluminum would
I've seen more than a few members put a M61LLL in one with 3xCR123 primaries as an emergency light that will run for a loooong time
Malkoff M31L (or LL), an Oveready delrin AA battery sleeve, and Eneloops

gsr

Enlightened
I have a G3 as well. I put in a Malkoff M91, and replaced the polymer bezel with one of Surefire's aluminum bezels. It lights things up quite nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2, but the setup should remain the same. I started with a Lumens Factory D26 LED triple mode XP-G, with a high of about 350 lumens or so. Since then I have gotten onto a High CRI kick, and found a really nice drop in at Mountain Electronics. It is a Nichia 219B at 500 (probably die) lumens. I got it with an OP reflector and 5%/25%/100% modes. It is also available in four different XM-L2 bin/tint/reflector combos. If that's still not to your taste, they have a section where you can select your MCPCB, LED, and Driver; and either assemble it yourself or they will do it for you.
I was very happy with both drop ins, but I have to tell you, that Nichia219B is fantastic. I did some tests when I got it, and it is almost exactly like sunlight! Very much worth the $17 USD I paid for it.

Edit: Forget the Nichia, I checked back with the description, and it will run on only one LiIon cell. Two will let the magic blue smoke out. But the Lumens Factory D26 comes in both Neutral White and 92+ CRI, and is rated at 3.7v-13v, so it would work with two 16500s quite well.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do:

Lots of people like to make these "cold weather" lights for outdoor use since the bodies don't get cold like aluminum would
I've seen more than a few members put a M61LLL in one with 3xCR123 primaries as an emergency light that will run for a loooong time

I like the Malkoff M60LL for this....

Thanks everyone.

I like the M31LL 100 Lumens on 3 X CR123 or 2 AA's should do some light for awhile. Not much into rechargeables.

Th M31LL can handle both setup yeah?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M31 is only compatible with low voltage cell setups, like two AAs or a single CR123. Any more than 3.2 volts and it'll :poof:.

I use Z41s upgraded with McClicky switches and Z44 bezels on my G2s. One has an M61L 219, and the other has an M61NL. In this config, they both passed my waterproof tests.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone.

I like the M31LL 100 Lumens on 3 X CR123 or 2 AA's should do some light for awhile. Not much into rechargeables.

Th M31LL can handle both setup yeah?

No, the M31 can only handle a single CR123, or two AA's. You could get a 2xCR123 dummy and it would run just fine on a single CR123 in a G3.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the L 219 version that was available from Illumination Supply or the neutral NL version, straight from Gene, if you prefer a non cool tint.

In low output applications, I personally prefer the floodier beam pattern of the M61 over that of the M60.

While not helpful to Forest, I get more lux (from Alkalines and Eneloops) from XP-G M61LL and M61N than from the XP-G2 M61 or M61NL.

Last edited:

Tacti'cool'

Newly Enlightened
I have really wanted to try the M61 219's but I have a M61NL in a C3 and love it. Great beam, tint, and battery life.

Don't forget about the L 219 version that was available from Illumination Supply or the neutral NL version, straight from Gene, if you prefer a non cool tint.

In low output applications, I personally prefer the floodier beam pattern of the M61 over that of the M60.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do:

I have been using the P90 on 2x17500 cells setup for many years and still enjoy this setup. 100+ guilt free, full CRI incandescent lumens are nice. :)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK it seems what Im looking for is and M60LL @ 100 lumens and I like the throw. I have the Nitrolon varriant head and would like to keep the SF bon stock. Problem is they don't seem to be available anywhere. Also, can someone verify the waterproofyness of this light? :)

Thanks all!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 L and LL variants haven't been available for several years, so the only option is the used market. When they pop up, they don't last long, so ya gotta be fast.

It may be beneficial to start a WTB thread.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I had an M60LL in mine (nitrolon body with aluminum head and aluminum clicky tail) and it works great on a few different battery configurations. I moved it into a VME/2xAA twisty combo and replaced it with an M61NLLLL that I run with 3xCR123s. It is an amazing setup. I use it pretty much every night and have never changed the batteries as long as I have had it. I have several different flavors of LLLs, but I really wish Gene would do another run of LLLLs. Just the right amount of light and nearly infinite runtime.