Mixing and matching for best L4 config?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, apologies if this has already been covered. I recently joined the club of L4 owners, though I'm not sure if I'm totally happy with it yet (haven't played with it outdoors, at night, in Australian bush).

What I'm wondering is what mods can be done to the L4, what different configurations can be done with it? For example, the L4 can be hooked with the E1 body to make TW4 which is slightly dimmer but smaller than the original L4 format. But can extra cells be put in like in the case of the KL1 which can take 1, 2, even 3 cells?

In the case of mods, how would one tell if the LED is low enough in the Luxeon Lottery that it would make sense to change it for a better binned 5W LS. Would exchanging the LED for a 5W SE LS produce a better beam?

TIA.

JanCPF

Enlightened
TIA,

You are going to love your L4 I'm sure.

As for driving the stock L4 head (KL4) you can run it with a voltage in the range of 3 to 6 volts. The light will be in regulation in this range. If you go higher than 6 volts you will go into DD mode and probably damage the converter and/or the LED. The range makes it perfect though for feeding it with a Pila 168s Li-Ion cell (3.7 volt) which fits nicely and provides about 50 min. runtime.

Jan

G Pilot

Enlightened
Yeah I'd like to know about boosting the L4 circuit. Is it just like the Arc's, where you just add another resistor to double the out put?
Thanks

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
JanCPF: TIA means Thanks In Advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's not my name, though with all the advice and help I get from these forums, I ought to use it as my name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G Pilot: I'm not entirely certain that you should boost the output further, unless you use it only in very short spurts. The head gets quite warm as is, after running for a few minutes. It could probably do with better heat sinking before we start boosting the output.

Anyone know the current level that the LED is being driven at? JanCPF mentioned the circuit is boost only, no buck like in KL1. But is it hard regulated, "semi"-regulated or plain boost? Has anyone replaced the LED with a side-emitter version and does that tighten the beam up a little?

I like the "wall of light", but realised that I don't really need it that wide. Approx half that diameter would be closer to my requirements, hence my question of replacing with a SE LS.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
G Pilot,
If you're planning to do the circuit boost with the 5W, look out. You'll be able to start camp fires with the thing. Boosting current would be a definite overdrive in a head that can't handle that much heat.

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Steelwolf said:
JanCPF: TIA means Thanks In Advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops - allrighty Steelwolf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gifJan

Kiu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
G Pilot,
If you're planning to do the circuit boost with the 5W, look out. You'll be able to start camp fires with the thing. Boosting current would be a definite overdrive in a head that can't handle that much heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah u right,chop.
my E2e w/BB750 5W that i EDC get hot very easy.
i should turn it off after every 5mins of usage. I haven't go camp, but hope no camp fire at home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i think SF somewhere under driven to avoid overheat and longer rutiime.
mmnnn...But is it L6 can overdriven alot with it's bigger head and 3 cells.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pity the L4 only powers up to 660mA, the nominal current for 2 LS dies in parallel should be closer to 700mA... 750mA according to spec? I guess I won't be trying to turn up the current. It gets quite warm as is.

But perhaps I can get the better throw I desire with a SE. Anyone with recommendations of a retailer, online or otherwise? Sandwich Shop is a little low on stock or something. I've been wanting to get some MiniM*g modules and LEDs (1W, LuxIII and 5W), but there are very few items there and practically none that I really want.