Happy Birthday - Alessandro Volta

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
as an electrical engineer, it is nice to recognize and remember those who laid the foundation for my life's work. Honestly, despite working with some amazing technology, the fundamentals of it are still remarkable. I was in a discussion of the relationship between the electric field strength and distance from the radiating antenna, the difference between far field behavior and near field behavior, how the power changes from being primarily electric field near the antenna to being balanced between the electric field and magnetic field as you move to the far field.... just amazing. :)

I still have a hard time getting my mind around how that energy changes from being entirely electric field near the field to being balance between electric and magnetic field, and the fact that this holds true in a vacuum where there is no current flowing. I guess this is why I'm not a physicist.

Congrats to Mr. Volta and the others who worked to grapple with the basics of electricity. You've contributed to some huge changes in the lives of mankind.