Is there a way to tell what the brightness bid of an led is?

ryan.s

Newly Enlightened
I'm quite the newbie so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I just purchased a p60 drop in from Amazon for my surefire 6p. There were a lot of choices but I found one that was described as a Cree XM-L2 U2 bulb. Once I receive it is there any way to tell if it's a U2 versus say a T6? From the research I've done so far I should be able to tell from the lines or dots on the emitter if it's a XM-L or XM-L2 but not sure how to verify the U2 bin. While were on the topic, is there also a way to tell where the bulb was made, US/China? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

First off, these are the sort of questions you ask BEFORE buying, not after. As lets face it, you've spent your money now, so it really matters not.

For the record, no, you can't visually tell what brightness bin a LED is. You have to trust the seller.

As for where made, well there is no "bulb". The led emitter is CREE and will be made in China, as are likely the other parts. However final assembly could be anywhere ---- what did the seller describe it as????

If you fancy another p60 drop-in, check these out:
http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-c-143.html?zenid=218cf40556d26071be18be96ef491b62

Very well made and high performing, great prices and lots of options. You know exactly what you are getting, as you choose what emitter, bin and tint.

:)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no apparent difference because the bins are made in the same process unless you have the equipment to remove the LED and drive it at a constant current in an integrating sphere. They don't make bins separately. They make a bunch of XM-L2s and then they test them (that's the binning process). Natural variations in the process produce different bins. They mark packaging not the LED with the bin code there's no way to tell once it's assembled in a light.

Another fun fact from the XM-L2 datasheet. " Cree maintains a tolerance of ±7% on flx and power measurements" Guess how big the difference is between bins? It's about 7%. So the error in measurement is about as big as one step in the bins. A T6 bin also has T5 and U2 bins in it's error bar.A one bin difference isn't really visible to the naked eye anyway at high output because of the way we perceive light.