Fenix E99Ti - my first non Maglite purchase

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
Hello chaps,

This just came through the door. Apparently a limited edition. I really don't see what the fuss is all about re Fenix vs Maglite. The thread was stiff, a drop of 3-in-one oil sorted that. The UI is ok, if a little confusing. You 'turn it ON' and have to turn it again for full power. Its nice and bright, will check out the ability of the light this evening when I take a walk.

Otherwise, I'm £28.99 lighter and if anything, feel a little underwhelmed.

But, I've done it and purchased a non-Maglite. So Mag haters can rest happy now.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any multi-mode light with a single UI control will require a degree of on/off action to cycle through the modes. It'll never be perfect.

Titanium, while it looks great, really isn't the best material for a torch. It will be gritty and doesn't really conduct heat all that well either.

As for Fenix, I have nothing against them. But I think there are way too many fanboys on here, that are completely blinkered to the wider market.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you fancy trying something different, that I honestly think you'll be really impressed with, try this out:
http://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2-Red-Cree-XML2-71358-5-Modes-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-964149.html

£12.38 delivered.

I personally would opt for the T6-3B. It's not too warm, but will be much nicer tint than the U2 1A.

If you don't have any 18650 batteries. Then get either:
http://www.banggood.com/2PCS-INR18650-25R-2500mAh-3_6v-20A-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-p-941982.html

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Genuin...035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edcbebfa3

And a charger.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
Any multi-mode light with a single UI control will require a degree of on/off action to cycle through the modes. It'll never be perfect.

Titanium, while it looks great, really isn't the best material for a torch. It will be gritty and doesn't really conduct heat all that well either.

As for Fenix, I have nothing against them. But I think there are way too many fanboys on here, that are completely blinkered to the wider market.

I know, I don't get it... Ti does look great but the thread is not smooth, even after oiling, and it would be good if the torch had 'memory', meaning it would turn ON depending on the last setting used.

#returning to HONG KONG is going to be a pain!

Berneck1

Enlightened
You can't really compare it in terms of price. You're paying for the titanium. The E05 is the aluminum version at $20.

I'm learning that while I like the look and feel of titanium, the threads do get gritty. The price difference really makes me stay with the aluminum. In many cases you can buy two or more of the same light in aluminum vs titanium.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
You can't really compare it in terms of price. You're paying for the titanium. The E05 is the aluminum version at $20.

I'm learning that while I like the look and feel of titanium, the threads do get gritty. The price difference really makes me stay with the aluminum. In many cases you can buy two or more of the same light in aluminum vs titanium.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

I didn't really see the E05 that much cheaper, perhaps by about £8 pounds or so. However, this one is meant to be brighter, being rated at 100 lumens, so one isn't 'just' paying for the Ti, in my opinion.

Additionally, mine came in a fancy box... did yours?

ALL my Maglite Al lights are super smooth in the threads and this is nice when using them. One thing I do like about the E99Ti is that I'll use it attached to my scooter keys, and won't worry about the vibrations being a potential cause for loss, as the spilt ring does not undo - its the opposite with my beloved Solitaire.

I read that some Fenix users were worried about the small amount of metal holding the spilt ring in place, the hole does not seem to be perfectly aligned. But I think it will be years of use before any wear causes an issue for me. And being Ti, it should be harder than the SS. Am I right?

Anyway, back to work now. Its nearly noon (UK time) and I've done little to no work.

Over and out.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do think Fenix is a good brand, which i'll buy one if i see one of their lights at a discount or something. I also got a LEDLenser T7 and want to explore other brands but for now i'm pretty good with lights until i get rid of a few of them i won't need a new one for awhile. But what's not to like about the E99Ti? It's 100 lumens with 1AAA battery. I actually saved that light in my amazon list because it looks to be a good light. But the Fenix Vs Mag thing is mostly because Fenix has a wider range of flashlights and many comparable lights use AA or AAA batteries to Mag which their bigger ones take D cell batteries which doesn't really offer higher lumens compared to Fenix lights (or other light brand) which are smaller, more lightweight but can put out more lumens. Mags does have good floods though.

Compare a 2D Mag with the Fenix LD41, you'll see a difference in size, battery type and see they perform about the same. I can EDC the Fenix LD41 if i wanted to but the Mag is bulky and it would be a bit weird to see someone carry a Mag around with them everywhere they went.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
I do think Fenix is a good brand, which i'll buy one if i see one of their lights at a discount or something. I also got a LEDLenser T7 and want to explore other brands but for now i'm pretty good with lights until i get rid of a few of them i won't need a new one for awhile. But what's not to like about the E99Ti? It's 100 lumens with 1AAA battery. I actually saved that light in my amazon list because it looks to be a good light. But the Fenix Vs Mag thing is mostly because Fenix has a wider range of flashlights and many comparable lights use AA or AAA batteries to Mag which their bigger ones take D cell batteries which doesn't really offer higher lumens compared to Fenix lights (or other light brand) which are smaller, more lightweight but can put out more lumens. Mags does have good floods though.

Compare a 2D Mag with the Fenix LD41, you'll see a difference in size, battery type and see they perform about the same. I can EDC the Fenix LD41 if i wanted to but the Mag is bulky and it would be a bit weird to see someone carry a Mag around with them everywhere they went.

Yep, I hear what you say however I took the E99Ti with me to collect my daughter from childcare. There is a dark stretch en route and I like to have a torch on hand, mainly for when we walk back together. The E99Ti ain't much of a thrower in it was raining, so one hand was holding an umbrella, making one-handed operation mandatory. It was bloody difficult, and as for the UI - it needs memory. Why does it default to MINIMUM all time?

The beam created by the Solitaire LED is much whiter and one that I actually prefer.

Had I paid £12 for this type of light, I would not have bothered posting. But £29 and I feel ripped off. 100 lumens? I don't believe it. Would be interesting if some bright spark on here, pun intended, could check its output.

I'm asking the seller for a return code, as I think its not worth the money, and the operation is far too tight.

Unless anyone UK or EU based wants to buy it? I paid £28.99 and could post at cost.

SY

1DaveN

Enlightened
Hello chaps,

This just came through the door. Apparently a limited edition. I really don't see what the fuss is all about re Fenix vs Maglite. The thread was stiff, a drop of 3-in-one oil sorted that. The UI is ok, if a little confusing. You 'turn it ON' and have to turn it again for full power. Its nice and bright, will check out the ability of the light this evening when I take a walk.

Otherwise, I'm £28.99 lighter and if anything, feel a little underwhelmed.

But, I've done it and purchased a non-Maglite. So Mag haters can rest happy now.

You might try a small dab of Super Lube silicone grease on those threads instead of oil. It might last a little longer and be a little easier on your pockets. I use it on both my Fenix and Maglite lights, and it works great. I'm a huge Fenix fan and haven't been able to talk myself into trying other brands yet, but I'll be the first to credit Mag - I've got a house full of mini Mags from the late 1970's and early 80's, and every one of them works like the day I bought it. I only started with Fenix when I realized those Mags are insufficiently bright for my aging eyesight.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
You might try a small dab of Super Lube silicone grease on those threads instead of oil. It might last a little longer and be a little easier on your pockets. I use it on both my Fenix and Maglite lights, and it works great. I'm a huge Fenix fan and haven't been able to talk myself into trying other brands yet, but I'll be the first to credit Mag - I've got a house full of mini Mags from the late 1970's and early 80's, and every one of them works like the day I bought it. I only started with Fenix when I realized those Mags are insufficiently bright for my aging eyesight.

Many thanks! I just put a drop of wet lube (for bike chains) and it seems better! Will get some super lube as you suggested. Do you know what it's called in the UK?

In the meantime... Which beam do folks prefer? Top or bottom? After 5 guesses I'll reveal which is which!

E99Ti vs Solitaire LED

c7f2e045819fb3c47ef8658a446b2862.jpg

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've said before Mag have huge gaps in their line up. But you aren't really comparing like for like. The LD41 only has marginally higher lumen output and I bet it steps down on max out put too. But it seriously won't throw anywhere close to the latest gen Mag 2D. And will only have fraction of the runtime.

And not forgetting price. It's £65!!!! Even with silly UK prices for Mags that is still double the money.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALL my Maglite Al lights are super smooth in the threads and this is nice when using them.

I've got a house full of mini Mags from the late 1970's and early 80's, and every one of them works like the day I bought it.

It's weird how even with little to no maintenance their heads and caps always turn so smooth- wonder if it's because their threads are so fine, not very deep. Also being less water resistant, maybe seems better because they have to overcome less seal friction, smaller o-rings.

anyway ti version isn't a good comparison for twisty smoothness or price. Low end ti lights are generally not as smooth turning, and still more expensive than their al & ss versions. The regular old al e05 turns very nicely when properly lubed.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have quite a few TI lights and I "smoothed" out the threads by 1st unthreading the lite by pulling on the head and body then pushing the head and body while threading them back together. I have never needed to lube the threads to smooth them out. BTW I leave the battery out for the thread smoothing action.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Experience with THIS LIGHT:

I have several Fenix lights. I pre-ordered one of these E99Ti and was pumped about it. Actually really pumped. Having been impressed with Fenix quality in the past I thought for sure this was going to be a winner. I like just about everything about the light EXCEPT the quality of the finish in and around the knurling. It is absolutely horrible. It doesn't show well in photos, but in person it looks like they drug it across the concrete after they got it off the lathe. I can't even see how this made it past any human interaction or quality control. I am guessing it is only mine that looked like this?
I opted to have the light engraved, so I wonder, could it be damage from being engraved??? I like the idea and price point of the light. But, I can't bring myself to ordering another to see if mine was as fluke. Originally, I had plans of buying 5 engraved ones to give as gifts. But, I scratched that idea, no pun intended. I would have been horrified if I had ordered them and they had turned out like this example all in my first order. It is too much a PIA to ask for a refund or send it back. So I just threw it in my car glove box.

In the end I am not happy with this ONE Fenix purchase. But others, from the same seller, have turned out very well and the products were great. Having said all this, I will still buy and try other Fenix products. Mistakes happen, I just prefer it happen to other people! :nana:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Many thanks! I just put a drop of wet lube (for bike chains) and it seems better! Will get some super lube as you suggested. Do you know what it's called in the UK?

Sorry, I don't know what they call it in the UK, but I get it at Amazon and the name is "Super Lube 91003 Silicone High-Dielectric and Vacuum Grease." I use it on the threads on all my lights - the smallest amount that's effective, because too much will block the circuit so the light doesn't come on. My Fenix E25 is particularly sensitive about too much grease. I like it because it works well and it's easy to clean up, and it's translucent white rather than a darker color that's going to end up staining something. I'm almost sure I started using it based on a recommendation from someone here at CPF.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
My Experience with THIS LIGHT:

I have several Fenix lights. I pre-ordered one of these E99Ti and was pumped about it. Actually really pumped. Having been impressed with Fenix quality in the past I thought for sure this was going to be a winner. I like just about everything about the light EXCEPT the quality of the finish in and around the knurling. It is absolutely horrible. It doesn't show well in photos, but in person it looks like they drug it across the concrete after they got it off the lathe. I can't even see how this made it past any human interaction or quality control. I am guessing it is only mine that looked like this?
I opted to have the light engraved, so I wonder, could it be damage from being engraved??? I like the idea and price point of the light. But, I can't bring myself to ordering another to see if mine was as fluke. Originally, I had plans of buying 5 engraved ones to give as gifts. But, I scratched that idea, no pun intended. I would have been horrified if I had ordered them and they had turned out like this example all in my first order. It is too much a PIA to ask for a refund or send it back. So I just threw it in my car glove box.

In the end I am not happy with this ONE Fenix purchase. But others, from the same seller, have turned out very well and the products were great. Having said all this, I will still buy and try other Fenix products. Mistakes happen, I just prefer it happen to other people! :nana:

I think you have a dud, the finish on my example is 100% top class. Very nicely done.