surefire US to Canada on ebay..

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
so I ordered a surefire flashlight from ebay store from a US based seller shipping to Canada. I didn't know that surefire doesn't allow export outside the US but am wondering if anyone else has successfully received a surefire from US to Canada?

I haven't received the light yet but did receive a note saying they've created the shipping label ?

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I didn't know that surefire doesn't allow export outside the US
Untrue. If you go to Surefire's website, they have a lookup for Canadian dealers. There are 13 listed in Toronto. Buying on eBay, you may have bought gray market (unauthorized distribution network). This may present a problem should you require warranty service.

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
Untrue. If you go to Surefire's website, they have a lookup for Canadian dealers. There are 13 listed in Toronto. Buying on eBay, you may have bought gray market (unauthorized distribution network). This may present a problem should you require warranty service.
I looked at all of dealers in Canada (that have websites) none of them stocked or had the model I wanted in stock. So does that mean I'd you were to buy a 2nd hand surefire from a US member the warranty would be void ?

So in all likeliness I'm wondering if this vendor is going to start processing the order and realize they can't ship it and refund me or are they going to just ship anyway. The vendor seems to be pretty legit (ecop)

I really want this light :(

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry. Lots of things get shipped lots places they shouldn't. The marvels of the internet. Not to mention, not all of the SF lights are under that restriction. So it also depends on what light you ordered.
Good luck.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I looked at all of dealers in Canada (that have websites) none of them stocked or had the model I wanted in stock.
Which model? BTW, some dealers will special order items upon request.

So does that mean I'd you were to buy a 2nd hand surefire from a US member the warranty would be void ? :(
I don't know about Surefire but for most warranty claims, you need the original proof of purchase. If that was in the US, you may have to send it back to the US for warranty service.

The vendor seems to be pretty legit (ecop)
I've bought from eCop through eBay (although not Surefire products); they're legit.

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
Which model? BTW, some dealers will special order items upon request.

I don't know about Surefire but for most warranty claims, you need the original proof of purchase. If that was in the US, you may have to send it back to the US for warranty service.

I've bought from eCop through eBay (although not Surefire products); they're legit.

I ordered the E1L-A !

I figured they were pretty legit they have alot of good ratings.

I just hope they can actually ship it as I can't seem to find it anywhere at the moment

bladesmith3

Enlightened
the only problem with shipping surefire lights to Canada is the batteries. you are not supposed to ship lithium batteries to the UPPER US. it happens all the time.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only problem with shipping surefire lights to Canada is the batteries. you are not supposed to ship lithium batteries to the UPPER US. it happens all the time.

Due to all of the additional restrictions imposed on international shipping a lot of dealers will punt when it comes to shipping international. The eBay guys kinda do whatever they want. One day they'll get hit and it will be difficult to get lithium batteries except by local sale.

Not completely true. Per USPS guidelines batteries contained within devises are permitted. http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_014.htm#ep1059904

"Only lithium cells and batteries under 135.63 and 135.64 that are properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate may be sent internationally or to APO, FPO, or DPO locations when not restricted or prohibited by the destination country or APO, FPO, or DPO location. For specific country restrictions, see the applicable Individual Country Listing."

From Canada Post. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/lithium-batteries-are-dangerous-goods-1162.html

In Canada, the shipping and importing of lithium batteriesFootnote 1 are subject to the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, 1992 and its Regulations.
Lithium batteries are used in many electronic devices like cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, medical equipment and power tools.
When you ship or import lithium batteries, including those contained in or packed with devices and equipment, you must meet shipping requirements and declare package contents to postal carriers, couriers or transport companies.
footnote 1 In this document, the term lithium batteries is used to refer to lithium ion and lithium metal batteries.

The Canadians appear much more concerned about counterfeit batteries than the US authorities do.
"Counterfeit and no-brand lithium batteries are also of concern, because they may not have been safety tested. These lithium batteries may be poorly designed, have little protection, or contain manufacturing flaws."

Latest posts