Reflector ? Need Help Quick

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to order some reflectors and am not sure of what to order.

Parabolic or elliptical?

Light, medium, or heavy orange peel?

Set screw or no set screw?

I'm thinking of getting a selection ranging from .5" to 1.37"

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I want to get this order in as soon as possible so that I can start building lights.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try and answer some of these. Im sure someone more knowledgable will correct me if im wrong...

1 Parabolic for fixed focus, elliptical if you want adjustable focus.

2 Depends on how smooth you want the beam. I *think* the smoother the texture, the higher the lux reading you will get, given the same light source. A more aggresive surface texture will give a much smoother beam, at the expense of throw.

3 Not sure what the set screw is for. Sounds like its something used for the adjustable focus reflectors.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster,
Thanks for the info. It turns out that the non set screw reflectors that are less than 2" come in the form of an aluminum cylinder. The set screw models are tapered.

I got some in light, medium and no orange peel. .75", 1" and 1.37"

All with out the set screw. That way I can machine them the way I want them.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got them from Carley Lamps. They are nice reflectors, but are almost useless unless you have a way to machine them to fit your needs.

If you want them to replace the reflector in a light like the M@g, you should get the one with the set screw. Those are tapered to accomodate the set screw.

Latest posts