Have you ever worn out your threads?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody!

I am curious as to whether anyone on the forum has actually worn out the threads on a light from use.

I see that there are threads (no pun intended) on CPF about damaged threads, and in this thread am not asking about defects or accidents (i.e. stripping), but actual use - like battery changes and/or twist operation wearing the threads down.

If you have worn out a light's threads, would you please share how you used and maintained that particular light, and how long it lasted you? Being the enthusiastic analyzer that I am it'd be very interesting to me! I would imagine that there are also others on the forum who wonder if their battery changes have any impact on the lifespan of their lights; I don't worry about it but I do wonder from time to time...

Many thanks in advance! lovecpf

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Quark AA from 2008. The threads (On the unanodized head) have some wear, but they are not done yet. This is a light where a key part of the interface is twisting and untwisting the head. It's been heavily used and not treated too gently.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Quark AA from 2008. The threads (On the unanodized head) have some wear, but they are not done yet. This is a light where a key part of the interface is twisting and untwisting the head. It's been heavily used and not treated too gently.

Ah, thank you, sir!

Am I correct to think that UNanodized threads will wear faster than anodized ones?

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
I never had any great problems except that they make screeching sounds.I have both anodized and regular ones.The non-anodized one's certainly have some wear ,but they are holding well , no problems yet.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened

Hey thanks for your concern.But I like to keep my threads dry and clean.I hate dust and other dirt sticking to my threads that can get stick onto my thrads if I applied some grease.I know it's not good to leave it dry , but I prefer my threads being always clean and dry.
And I don't mind these " ocassional screeeeeeeching" noises.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there's dry lube like powdered graphite. Aluminum plus carbon in presence of an electrical field causes "corrosion by dissimilar materials."

Oh well. Nothing's perfect and there's millions of skinned cats out there... for some reason. Who's going around skinning all of these cats, anyway?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I correct to think that UNanodized threads will wear faster than anodized ones?
Yes, correct. You can use a serated anodized light to saw troug a non anodized, it makes the surface area many times stronger. Bare alu is kind of a soft metal.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there's dry lube like powdered graphite. Aluminum plus carbon in presence of an electrical field causes "corrosion by dissimilar materials."

Yes, or go to a cycle shop and get some chain dry lube (usually Teflon). It won't attract dirt, and it's better than nothing.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I hate dust and other dirt sticking to my threads that can get stick onto my thrads if I applied some grease.
Unless you have to change batteries in a dirty environment, lubricated threads should not accumulate dust and dirt; they are inside the O-rings. If dust and dirt get past your O-rings, you have a problem.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also a product called White Lightning that is a bicycle chain lubricant that sheds dirt. The lube is very thin on application and congeals in the target surfaces but does a great job. I use in on the pivots of my knives. It would be great for light threads.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
White Lightning contains a water soluble paraffin wax and Krytox, a second generation Teflon type product.

Any of the bike dry chain lubricants would be good to use on bare aluminum threads.

On some of my lights I used a silicone o-ring lubricant on both threads and threads. Other lights I use Boelube. Boelube is good stuff.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Hello everybody!

I am curious as to whether anyone on the forum has actually worn out the threads on a light from use.

I see that there are threads (no pun intended) on CPF about damaged threads, and in this thread am not asking about defects or accidents (i.e. stripping), but actual use - like battery changes and/or twist operation wearing the threads down.

If you have worn out a light's threads, would you please share how you used and maintained that particular light, and how long it lasted you? Being the enthusiastic analyzer that I am it'd be very interesting to me! I would imagine that there are also others on the forum who wonder if their battery changes have any impact on the lifespan of their lights; I don't worry about it but I do wonder from time to time...

Many thanks in advance! lovecpf

On the flashlight? Damaged threads yes. None "worn out" since I discovered Surefire ... Lo these many years ago. :thumbsup: Since then most threading issues seem to come from trying to re thread it back on. Lube helps in that regard.
On side note I remember flashlights with no threading anywhere and me and my friends explored dark places with it. In elementary school! Pure plastic and cheap wiring! The switch was the most magical part of the thing. I got to throw it. :naughty:
On a second side note I too would really appreciate if someone could document a 'threads coming loose!' moment. :popcorn:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never worn any out. Probably because I have to many lights. None would ever be used that much. lol

However, was changing a cell in one of my Ti lights and dropped the head. Damaged the threads. After I carefully worked them over with a die, and put some nyogel, it was actually better than new. lol