Mini Mag-Lite AAA LED conversion kit

__Neo__

Newly Enlightened
I ordered this conversion kit:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281365004435?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mini Maglite LED 2 AAA TTS Upgrade Torch Flashlight Conversion 1/2 Watt Bulb
Brighter & whitest LED for the 2 AAA Mini Mag 40 lms +[/URL]

Delivery was fast and well packed (in an AA Batterie-case)

Only drawback was a donut ring beam. This was due to the LED not going in the reflector deep enough. So I took off some material on the back side of the reflector with sandpaper (sandpaper on the table and sliding the back side of the reflector over it). Now the beam is satisfying.

Now a comparison of brightness (left to right) von Mini-Mag AA with older Nite-Izeconversion kit, middel Mag-Lite XL100 and the Mini-Mag AAA with the mentioned LED kit in comparison:

photo_2015-02-21_13-5hlui9.jpg

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
40 lumen? Why bother?

Ask Reppans. He can do with .3 lumens what many cannot with 30. :)

When it's good and dark, 40 (if correct) is quite a lot. I added a Maglite lens boot to my Nite Ize AAx2 minimag setup so I can cut output further since the dropin does not support dimming.

As it stands, it only seems to need cutting if it's the darkest of the pitch black.

Dubois

Enlightened
Ask Reppans. He can do with .3 lumens what many cannot with 30. :)

When it's good and dark, 40 (if correct) is quite a lot. I added a Maglite lens boot to my Nite Ize AAx2 minimag setup so I can cut output further since the dropin does not support dimming.

As it stands, it only seems to need cutting if it's the darkest of the pitch black.

Oh, I can get by with even lower than 0.3 lumens, but a single output of 40 lumens is neither one thing nor another. It's a relatively big light to cart around for something a single AAA keychain light could do, and do better - with a couple of modes. Just seems like throwing good money after bad. YMMV.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the "upgrade kit" should simply be to throw away the M@g and buy a quality AAA light. Probably cheaper than buying a M@g and upgrade kit.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, keep in mind that Mag sells an LED AAA Minimag that produces around 80 lumens. If you like the form factor of the AAA Minimag, this would probably be a better way to go than upgrading an incandescent.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The LED version of the mini mag AAA is a lot brighter than the aftermarket upgrade kits.

But it is kinda cool to show your friends your light mods.
I made the mistake of letting my wife play around with my updated aaa light. Haven't seen it since.

Now for the AA mini mag the TerraLux conversion is pretty good. For about the same price as a new one you can update your old incan to a nearly identical performer as the factory LED version.

I had an oldy I'm real fond of so I did the conversion. Plus I like the shorter length of the incan version over the LED one.

^^ the updated incan aa to LED

Last edited:

Latest posts