Safety of chargers for UC35 and S10R Batin

rwhitebbq

Newly Enlightened
First post so bear with me. Tried searching but no luck.

With all the concern for charging LiIon cells and adequacy of the chargers, shd I be concerned using the built in charger of the UC35 and charging base of the S10R?

I'm sure there are benefits of the standalone chargers that can exercise the cells- but safety is my primary concern at this point in my new "disease".

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

kj2

Flashaholic
Should be fine, using built-in charging option on quality branded lights. Have a Olight R20 and S30R. The first uses a micro-usb port and the S30R uses the Olight charging base. Both are charging fine.

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't take too much development to make a proper CC/CV system, AFAIK. If I'm not mistaken, both Fenix and Olight make fairly well rated standalone chargers. If you are using quality batteries, you should definitely be fine.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a DMM to check where your light's low batt indicator, and peak charge to the batt ends up (or the low and high voltage operating range) for a few cycles and you'll get good sense if you can trust it, and how best to work with it.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
My UC35 built in USB charger seems very well designed and charges to a perfect 4.2v...Im sure the Olight system is just as good...should be

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're right to at least be concerned and ask the question ... "they're decent brands, I suppose you're probably fine" isn't really much of an answer. There were common mistakes that used to happen years back, e.g., at termination, the light would turn green, but the charger would continue to trickle charge. Does that happen with these built-in chargers? I dunno -- many of the standalone chargers from quality manufacturers in recent years have been tested and reviewed here in CPF, so we know they charge at a safe rate, and then truly terminate charge. Someone would need to test before you could definitively say that about the various built-in chargers ... I'd advise you to head to the battery forum, where you'll get a lot less of the "eh, should be okay" type replies, I bet, and more talk about what's actually known and tested. Or, if you're lucky, one of the awesome testers will be motivated to look at these -- or perhaps they already have and results are already up!.

edit: well, you've piqued my curiosity, so I made a thread asking about this on the Batteries Included forum

Last edited: