Custom tactical flashlight, 2-3 switches for different modes

lx5fq

Newly Enlightened
After 3 days of reading on this forum and others, i am now more confused and clueless then before :)

So, let me say a few words about my project:

using "this body":http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-U...00LM-5-Modes-Zoomable-Flashlight-p-52672.html i want to make a tactical flashlight to attach to my airsoft gun..
now, the flashlight i linked will be cut in half just after the radiator part and pull out a wire straight from the LED into the driver. the driver and the battery/es will stay in the gun. So, the thing i can not seem to find:

i need a driver that will put out 3 amps and >3.85v (for the xml t6 to achieve full power) that can be hacked so i can pull out 2/3 switches: 1 gives full brightness, second strobe , optional third - low brightness.. If needed, i can resolder components to the existing pcb layout or even reprogram the CPU with a specific different program, but that is my least desirable option.. also, some components can be added if needed on a different pcb and wire connected to the existing one

I do not care on the size of the driver, it should fit.. 17mm, 20 mm whatever.. or if it's a long slim board, again, i don't mind.. i can fit 1 or 2 18650 in the body of my rifle, in parallel or series, already bought "2 panasonic ncr 2900mah":http://www.banggood.com/2PCS-NCR-18650PF-3_7V-2900MAH-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-p-909139.html with 10 amps max discharge
also, if you have another body/led that should fit in the next description and you think it might be superior to my choice, please gimme a suggestion:

the body is slim and lightweight
it has a zoom capability
it has a radiator design, should dissipate heat better then a standard tube

What i don't like:

the reflector is a white plastic and nasty looking, so it eats some of the lumens instead of throwing them trough the lens
the lens do not have an exceptional throw and focal power when you zoom, they spill a lot.. can something be done?

Any input is welcome..

lx5fq

Newly Enlightened
nobody, nothing?

from my latest info, the cooling fins do nothing , so i will switch to a thicker metal tube design for the body.. what remains are the discussions for the driver with separate buttons for modes

also, if you know what cheap flashlight tube and what reflector could throw well at ~ 60m(200 feet) with no spill, having the fact that i want to drive a xml t6/u2 at full power, i will definitely take your advice, for i am no expert in flashlights as you are.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the driver, google for Kaidomain AMC7135 drivers.. They allow u to select the modes & 1 of the possible selection is high-med-strobe

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
using "this body":http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-U...00LM-5-Modes-Zoomable-Flashlight-p-52672.html i want to make a tactical flashlight to attach to my airsoft gun..

now, the flashlight i linked will be cut in half just after the radiator part and pull out a wire straight from the LED into the driver. the driver and the battery/es will stay in the gun.

So we are clear, you want to have the light head on a wire leading to a battery pack? No problem. I think we're still with you.

i need a driver that will put out 3 amps and >3.85v (for the xml t6 to achieve full power) that can be hacked so i can pull out 2/3 switches: 1 gives full brightness, second strobe , optional third - low brightness..

No need for hacking. Nanjg 105c would do this by solder-jumping star #2. It's really a whole lot simpler than it sounds. The only problem is using momentary with a pressure switch would cause mode change. Mode change with star #2 jumped is by a quick interruption of the juice feeding into the driver. Since you're talking about using static switches, then you'd only need one switch at a minimum.

i can fit 1 or 2 18650 in the body of my rifle, in parallel or series,

Above mentioned driver would do 18650 x2 in parallel (for capacity.)

What i don't like:
the reflector is a white plastic and nasty looking, so it eats some of the lumens instead of throwing them trough the lens
the lens do not have an exceptional throw and focal power when you zoom, they spill a lot.. can something be done?

Yes, that light appears to use aspheric optics. Where you see the white thing under the optic, some people completely black that out. It reduces the rings that are going to pollute the spill of that light. It's a little counter-intuitive.

If you want no spill at all, that's going to be a bit more expensive in parts than I think you like. Wavien RLT?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arbon-be-upgraded-with-a-Wavien-RLT%99-Collar

For more background, might check this thread, OP: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320650-Why-don-t-most-lights-focus

i need a driver that will put out 3 amps and >3.85v (for the xml t6 to achieve full power) that can be hacked so i can pull out 2/3 switches: 1 gives full brightness, second strobe , optional third - low brightness..

Alternatively, you could gut out the driver and use your 3 switches. Each cuts another resistor in or out of the circuit. It's not exactly a driver at that point... sort of a manual variable resistor-limited direct drive.

Last edited: