Fenix E12

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up an E12 at REI today because I REALLY needed another AA flashlight. :devil: Anyway as I was using it earlier to give me some light underneath my cabinets for a little project I realized something. I was in medium mode and did a slightly longer press and it went BACK to low mode. Works going from medium back to low or high to low as well. Reppans hipped me to this little trick on my D25a clicky and I'm super pleased that it works on the E12 as well. Maybe all of you already know this and maybe it's something that works on EVERY reverse clicky. Either way I think it's pretty cool because sometimes I need a bit more light and then want to go back to the low mode I was in. So I either just wasted your time or blew your mind. Have a nice weekend folks. :thumbsup:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
a LONG press will take you BACK to the low mode.......ARE YOU NOT IMPRESSED!!??? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!!! My life has been dedicated to dirty little tricks and trinkets involving flashlights and wild animals, mainly marsupials and members of the great ape family. THE E12 is one of the TOP 5 FLASHLIGHTS EVER CREATED BY GOD!!!!! YOU SHOULD PURCHASE ONE ONLINE TODAY!!!!

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
I tried it last night and it worked. I like the E12 for it's simplicity, and for that reason it is on the night stand. Sometimes I have trouble telling the difference between medium and high but that is mostly because I'm not good at keeping the battery charged and it never gets above medium.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Maybe all of you already know this and maybe it's something that works on EVERY reverse clicky...

Hehe, thanks for mentioning me Gurdyguards, and yes, a long press to restart the cycling sequence does work with every reverse clicky that doesn't have memory. A long press is the equivalent of turning the light off and waiting for the manufacturer-defined reset period to pass, and then releasing just turns it back on at the start of the cycling sequence.

The key of course is the programmed reset period - it works really well with lights with short 1-2 second resets, but not so good on lights with longer 3+ sec resets. I personally don't see the benefit of having long reset times (like my Quark Pros), except perhaps in the case of lego'ing a forward clicky for a more US-style UI (gives you more light "sampling" time before locking in).

Fenix makes some nice lights... but I prefer low lows.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a believer in the low lows as well, but I like these Fenix lights so much it hasn't been bothering me too much. This E12 has taken over since I got it. Super simple, nice feeling reverse clicky, beam and tint are good enough for me. Very happy with this light and i like it better than my D25a clicky. IF it had the moon mode of the D25a it would be near perfect.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seriously geeking out with this E12. Has quickly become my favorite flashlight. I think you will dig it.
nice. i just tried this with my Quark and it works. like it even more now. also want to buy the E12 since its so cheap.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
I am seriously geeking out with this E12. Has quickly become my favorite flashlight. I think you will dig it.

The E12 is my second favorite EDC flashlight. The E12 has a useable (for me) low, an easy UI, and a good beam profile for general use at close range. It also tailstands, which is what caused me to upgrade from my E11.

My favorite EDC is the E15. The beam profile is the same as the E12. The E15 is much smaller, which I find easier to pocket carry. The downsides to the E15 are that is low is not as low as the E12, and some people dislike the twisty switch on the E15. The E12 also works well on rechargeables, while the E15 prefers primary lithiums. I have a drawer full of CR123a batteries, so using primaries isn't a problem for me.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bump for the E12.

I was looking for an E12 thread to ask how many members still use them. Mine came from GG himself and for the last 6 months has been my exclusive 2am nature call light.

I did not know until finding this thread a long press took it back to low though. Other than kicks n giggles it has never been used on medium or high while I've owned it. But it is nice to (now) know it can do that.

Anybody else still using the E12?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you even still buy them? I haven't seen them anywhere except amazon in Canada where they want $50 for them (which is way too much)

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the simplicity of the E12 and it's small size for an AA light.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea buddy! It's an honor that a few lights I've sent your way get used and shown love my friend! I've gifted and or package deal sold all of my e12s at this point but it's an all time favorite for sure. EDIT: The LD11 has taken over in lieu of the lack of an E12 as my simple AA beater light.
Bump for the E12.

I was looking for an E12 thread to ask how many members still use them. Mine came from GG himself and for the last 6 months has been my exclusive 2am nature call light.

I did not know until finding this thread a long press took it back to low though. Other than kicks n giggles it has never been used on medium or high while I've owned it. But it is nice to (now) know it can do that.

Last edited:

krkan

Newly Enlightened
Can you even still buy them? I haven't seen them anywhere except amazon in Canada where they want $50 for them (which is way too much)

I got mine a couple of months ago, as a doomsday scenario backup light. Love it.
They are easily available on European shops, but I guess that the delivery costs To US/Canada would make 50$ seem cheap.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for the E12.

Heck yeah, man. A very useful light in a very usable package that does what it was designed to do and does it well, and mine is still doin' it! Lights like that don't go out of style or become obsolete in my world (or yours, I'm sure:). I have some lights I wish I hadn't bought, and also some that have ended up in a box in a closet anyway. The E12 isn't in either of those categories, and mine lives in my most accessible stash of 'grab and go' lights. There are other lights I grab more often, but it's nowhere near being relegated to the closet, and isn't likely to be! It's in the 'I'd buy it again' category.

BTW, it appears Fenix has released an E12 V2.0. It looks like it's another of their REI-exclusive releases initially and there's not a lot of info around, but it appears to be a very nice 3", 3-output, 160 lumen 1xAA light with a proper switch (tailcap anyway) and 2M FL1 impact rating. From what I can tell it looks like it could be a worthy successor to the original with improvements, which should be (but isn't always) the case when a model designation is reused. We shall see...

Note that the 2 meter 'impact resistance' rating I quoted above from the specs on the REI site is likely in error, as a later post with specs ostensibly from Fenix list that rating as '1 meter'.

Last edited:

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at the light at REI. $30, higher output on high and 70 hrs runtime on 5 lumens. And, AND, AND a proper pocket clip!

Light Output High: 160 / medium: 30 / low: 5 lumens
Max Beam Distance (m) 68 meters
Beam Distance High: 68 / medium: 28 / low: 12 meters
Brightness Levels 3
Strobes 0
Average Run Time High: 1 / medium: 13 / low: 70 hours
Regulated Output Yes

5382e612-83c7-48c0-849d-74ad78f1c7c1

CSG

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I bought two of the E12s at the Fenix Store earlier this month and with a coupon code of 20% off, they were about $21.50 each with free shipping in the USA. Looks like they're all gone now.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the mode sequence still the same ...always start on low med high, no mode memory?

It looks like it always starts on high the way the specs are printed.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
Good thread! I've been looking for good but inexpensive AA lights for the car glove compartments, and Fenix is my go-to brand.

Just ordered 4 for $21.56 each using their 20% new email signup. Search took me to the old 130 lumen model first, but the V2 is the same price! I'll load these up with lithium batteries, and stock up the cars.