Mini Maglite upgrade on a budget - please don't run away :)

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to upgrade, on a budget, my Mini Maglite AA LED.

Although there are many mods posted on the forum for AA M@gs, I really didn't find any recent post on the subject. Another problem will be explained in a couple of lines.

So I disassembled the thing to see her guts.

The first upgrade I thought of was a battery upgrade, replacing the AAs for 14500s. That would up the voltage and give me more light - if I understood correctly what I've been reading.
Now, the emmitter/driver/heatsink combo (drop-in?): I can't find any information on it - this is why I don't know what mods can be done (drop-in, de-dome, heatsink, etc.). It is all enclosured in metal and has a few inscriptions: "TMP-2 Mag-Lite ®" clearly marked on its mid-side, "B09-" very faded on the upper-side, and on the very top, on the board next to the emmiter, "-090". The only access is, I think, from the bottom, removing a plastic tailcap.

So, my questions would be:
1. Does anyone know this drop-in and can point me to it's specs?
2. Can 14500s be used safely?
3. Would anyone suggest other updated upgrades, on a tight budget? For this last question I understand I should be giving you a price tag, but I'm soooo noob at this I wouldn't know how to realistically set one.

I have no electronic experience whatsoever, but I can read a learn :)

Thanks everyone!

(this post was redacted in accordance with the "CPF Acronyms/Terminology (NEWBS/NOOBZ, Look Here!" thread):twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to upgrade, on a budget, my Mini Maglite AA LED.

Although there are many mods posted on the forum for AA M@gs, I really didn't find any recent post on the subject. ....

Then take a look at my recent MiniMag mods here. :)

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened
Hi Icarus, thanks for replying so quickly,

I was actually hopping you would see this thread. :whistle:

I had seen this upgrade but at very late hours (I think I read all your mods), somehow didn't register it was this recent - I am sorry for that. I can't track all the listed parts's, or their price, but the ones I did find I got really surprised at the low cost of the mod. Thank you, I will try to build something as close to this as possible, I'll just have to study this a little bit harder.

Would anybody know anything about the drop-in I mentioned?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea about the drop-in you mentioned but posting a picture might help.
PM me if you need help with the missing parts. :)

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe there is such a thing as a drop-in for the LED Mini Mags (of any generation).

I think they use a press fit Led/driver assembly. Although there have been changes over the different generations.

This means anything to upgrade it, will be very custom.

Old Lumens over on BLF has done a number of great Mag mods over the years. All I hasten to add above my skill level.

Mrhoades

Newly Enlightened
Match on BLF has a good tutorial for modifying a mini mag to use a p60 pill. I'm waiting on some custom p60s from mtnelectronics to complete mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I have one of these but I do not know who made it. I have a bunch of mini mag mods. both 1 and 2 battery versions. most made by VOB here on the forum. I never use them. so look for them on the mall soon.

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
LOL. Funny something made by a big manufacturer is lo little known.

Thanks for helping out!
I have the same minimag. I added a single 14500 4.2v, and a long socket as a spacer. Super bright !!!!! It gets hot but I added copper to the drop in for thorough heat dissipation. Also dedomed the led for a tighter hot spot

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened
I have the same minimag. I added a single 14500 4.2v, and a long socket as a spacer. Super bright !!!!! It gets hot but I added copper to the drop in for thorough heat dissipation. Also dedomed the led for a tighter hot spot

hi there! Thank s for replying!

Do you have any idea if it will hold 2x14500?