Fenix PD32 quality

gbynum

Newly Enlightened
I own this one "good LED" flashlight, but it has not been all that satisfying. It is less than a year old, and is used infrequently. From the beginning, the tail switch was inconsistent, clicking on maybe 75% of the time (always came on and clicked, but went back off when released). Then it wouldn't change mode, stuck in apparently "turbo". I obtained a return authorization to have these addressed.

Fenix PROMPTLY returned the light; the mode issue was addressed, but the clicky switch was not. Ah well.

Yesterday, I had it on, low, and it switched to (I THINK) turbo on its own; the mode switch did nothing. Having had some suggestions here that the circuit board might be loose, and having snap-ring pliers, I checked that; wiggled, but seemed tight. Ah well ... but when I reassembled, it works again.

So I have a working mode switch and a clicky switch that works more than half the time.

This was my first high end flashlight. I'm pretty sure it is my last from Fenix. They sent me 2 emails asking for my experiences, and declined to respond to my follow up comments.

George

wjv

Enlightened
Fenix is usually a very reliable brand.

Have you checked the rear tail switch to make sure that it is tightened down inside of the tailcap (counter-clockwise rotation)? Remove the tailcap and then use a pair of needle nose pliers or tweezers to tighten the switch using the two circular depressions in the base plate of the switch.

That's a real common issue with Fenix in that the rear-clicky unscrews itself over time. It's part of the Fenix recommended maintenance to tighten the switch on a regular basis. Some of the newer Fenix lights, like the LD22 have gone to a different switch design that eliminates this issue.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is very reliable in the construction of the flashlights, the customer service is efficient.
Try to do as you suggested wjv
What battery are you using?

Is3cGB.jpg

bright star

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the same problem I had with my LD 41. Phoenix sent me a new battery carrier and all is now well. I would contact customer service again explain the problem. They are pretty good at getting back to you in resolving this matter. Good luck

gbynum

Newly Enlightened
Re checking the tail switch tightness ... yes, I loosened it a few degrees then tightened it back. I torqued the circuit board clockwise and anticlockwise with no APPARENT motion and reassembled; it is working again, but I've lost faith in it. It's like a gun that jams or misfires, cannot be trusted to work when needed. As for the power source, an 18650 protected cell by Nitecore, their 2300 mAh. I don't use it much, and swap between 2 cells monthly; recharging the one I remove in the Nitecore charger (0.5A) takes less than an hour each month.

I don't mind routine maintenance, but it was tight. The switch will click turning on, but not "latch", clicking on finger release and the light extinguishing. The mode failure, and APPARENT full on doesn't seem to me to be the tail device, though.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my PD32 has happened only once.
After tight has never again gave problems.
That fixing system is used by all manufacturers.
What happened to you could happen with any brand.

(Translate with Google)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
......... The switch will click turning on, but not "latch", clicking on finger release and the light extinguishing. The mode failure, and APPARENT full on doesn't seem to me to be the tail device, though.

So the switch won't stay clicked on? That sounds like a bad switch. When you had the mode switch fixed, they obviously didn't replace the light as you still had the tail cap switch issue when you got it back.

The Fenix PD32 has been good to me and is one of my favorite lights. I have two of them. Both work great. Problems can happen though and once that happens, its customary to be dissatisfied with that particular model. I know I will never own another Fenix LD12 (later XP-G2 version) because of some problems with 2 of them...........but I diagnosed that down to a manufacturing or design issue with that particular model only. Other Fenix I have work great.

After owning lots of lights from different manufacturers, it can happen to any of them. If you like the PD32, I'd get the tail cap switch replaced.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id actually try getting at least an 3100mah 18650 and see if that does anything. 2300mah sounds awfully low to power the light to specs. Could be wrong but its happened to others with similar lights on the forum. Fenix is the LAST high end Chinese LED light manufacturer I would give up on. The PD32 is one of the most seminal high powered LED lights there has been. Mine is a tank and performs flawlessly. Id try just popping in a higher capacity battery before sending it back to China again but should you need to do that Fenix should take care of you as long as there has been nothing lost in translation. I know it is frustrating and time consuming to have to re explain the issue and send it back but I would be amazed if Fenix didnt fix it correctly the second time should you send it back...good luck