Streamlight Survivor

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I see the word survivor mixed with flahlight...I expect to find a light that will run a long time...on those trips through the Amazon jungles or when your boat sinks and your stuck for a year on that Island sucking coconuts...the Lightwave 4000 for example...10 led`s 3D cells...

But what I found was a "new light" that is capable of surviving drops with a 4 hour run time...rechargable...5 watt bulb (about the same as a E-2). Does anyone have an opinion or know more about this light...price for example? www.streamlight.com

Free

Enlightened
Well after charging it up I would have to say that the light is about somewhere between an E1 and D2 in brightness. Not that great for its size.

The beam has a hot center and a weird diffuse surrounding scattered pattern. The reflector is not that great and it cannot be focused.

The flat base of the flashlight slides into the charger sideways and a red led indicates charging while a green led indicates fully charged.

Let me know if you need to know anything else
smile.gif

Free

Enlightened
You know, now that I think of it, this product probably fits your requirements for a survival light better.

Syclone

I have one of the rechargeable ones and they are pretty neat!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Free, it doesn`t sound like you are thrilled with it...I appreciate your honest opinion...and I will take more time...thanks

wink.gif

Ken

Free

Enlightened
Hi Ken, I have one of these, what do you want to know? I don't remember where I got it but I think it was rather expensive. I bought it because it was indestructible??

It is a unique shape. You can clip it to your belt and the light will throw out horizontally. You can also stand it up on a table and it will do the same.

I will charge it up so I can give you a brightness comparison.

Free

Enlightened
Yeah Ken, I am rather dissapointed. It is quite heavy too and should provide more light. In addition the reflector is pretty lousy and throws a weird beam. The beam quality is more understandable in the syclone because it has two bulbs but in the Survivor it is inexcuseable. The Syclone is smaller lighter and the use of a led combo makes it unique but still not a great reflector.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Syclone too, but the AA version. Can I get a rechargeable pack and charger to go in it in place of the AA battery holder?

Very nicely made and quite small too- smaller than a Turtlelite (LED light), but that beam is very odd especially at the wider setting. Plus focussed as narrow as it goes, the head is only half a turn from unscrewing freely off the o-ring- it could do with a couple more threads really. It is bright enough and the LED is useful too, if a bit dim compared to the Stylus-2 which uses the same amber LED. I have thought of upgrading it to a white Nichia LED, shouldn`t be hard to do.
I`ll get round to writing a full review of it on my site soon enough, but I have a lot to do so it`ll be a while.
No plans yet to get a Survivor, but incandescents don`t get my interest quite as much as LEDs do I`m afraid. If Streamlight want to send me some of their products to review though I won`t refuse...
wink.gif

shocked.gif