Different LED's

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Different LED\'s

Glad to see a forum dedicated to "electrolumenescents"! I'm sure more BF forumites will meander over here to check it out.

First, just wondering if anyone has any additional feedback on LEDCORP Turtlelite or Princeton Tech's new LED Matrix head light?

I've been playing around with my Phantom Light still...a 4AA (barrel), dual LED (center is white and offset is IR)...with the batteries reversed, you can utilize the IR LED. Both LED's have a "brightness" control switch, allowing one to vary the brightness.

The light doesn't give off much light...my LEDTronic FlashLED's (2AA) give off considerably more light, but that's not the intended scope or purpose of the Phantom Light. The light is designed primarily as a "minimum necessary" illuminator. Aimed at the military, the concept is really quite interesting. Evidently the lights white LED is supposedly a "purer" white light that is below the ambient moon/starlight...thus not affecting night vision devises, plus making it less susceptible to enemy NVDs. Another plus is the adjustable brightness switch, allowing users to read the true color of maps, with the minimum light required.

Last field problem, I was able to test it out a little with my driver's NVGs. At full brightness, aimed directly at the goggles...it doesn't work that well (not the intention though), but compared to a AA mini mag...the light was a lot less "brighter".
The large hood around the lamp module is the real ticket. If using the light as intended, with the light always focused down (i.e. reading a map or lighting a pathway, or search thru a ruck), it's almost impossible to detect the light from a reasonable distance of 20-30 meters or so.

Reversing the batteries is a real plus. Doing a blackout drive on a moonless/cloudy night is often slow going, even with NVGs. The Phantom Light IR LED is a great short-range illuminator, and worked real well.

This is definitely a "tactical" light, that would do many any good as a "bright" illumination device, but does fill a great role in the tactical arenas, where you need to see true colors, fewer shadows, and have a controllable brightness.

I've become convinced that LEDs are some of the greatest emergency lights. I hope these forums become a great source of information, testing, reviewing and a place to provide makers a chance to get real feedback from real users.

R6