Maglite Solitaire LED Upgrade.

LJSurfa

Newly Enlightened
So- I am looking for an LED upgrade bulb for my old style incandescent Maglite Solitaire (1x AAA).
I understand there are some good 'drop in' type bulbs which will power about 20 lumens. I was looking at the upgrade on 'TheTorchSite' but was wondering if there were any other good drop in lED units for the AAA torch.

I don't want to make complicated modifications or anything similar just a good higher powered led drop in.

Thanks guys.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So- I am looking for an LED upgrade bulb for my old style incandescent Maglite Solitaire (1x AAA).
I understand there are some good 'drop in' type bulbs which will power about 20 lumens. I was looking at the upgrade on 'TheTorchSite' but was wondering if there were any other good drop in lED units for the AAA torch.

I don't want to make complicated modifications or anything similar just a good higher powered led drop in.

Thanks guys.

For $10, you can get a real AAA light. Why mess around with upgrading crap?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $10, you can get a real AAA light. Why mess around with upgrading crap?

Haven't you ever bought a Maglite for the sole purpose of upgrading it? ;)

Hey OP, there's a hotrod mod for that Solitaire incan that's going to have you running through bulbs.

Get a 10440 lithium ion and a minimag AAx2 bulb. Partially deplete the 10440, or you'll probably "instaflash" your bulb. Word 'round the campfire is this mod can take you above 30 lumens perhaps. A fully charged 10440 is going to fry the bulb.

You're going to have to come up with some really small washers to stack around the bulb so it will fit.

There's almost zero room to work with in a ML Sol incan, that's why there's no real mods for it unfortunately. LED mods for Solitaire incan tend to be very... underwhelming. Even a 5mm led will take some tricks to light from an AAA alkaline and there's no real room for a boost driver.

I suggest getting a Fenix E01 led to go with your hotrodded ML Solitaire incan for WHEN the bulb fries. :) It's going to take launching it from a shotgun to kill that Fenix E01.

Also, if you're married to Maglite, there *IS* that Solitaire LED now... We used to not have that and had to mod the nearly unmoddable when it came to the good (bad) old Solitaire.

Last edited:

LJSurfa

Newly Enlightened
I bought the solitaire for £3 brand new with the intention of simple upgrades for it and seeing what I can do. I like the sound of this so might give it a go. [emoji106]

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys.
If honest, I would say don't bother unless you want to do something custom. All of the "drop-ins" cost too much and perform badly. And you'll end up with a blue tinted light.

The Solitaire LED (factory one) is so much better than any drop in.

BTW - I have both.