Why do quality flashlights(torches) only come in black?

bdogps

Enlightened
Hello,

I understand why the standard colour is "tactical black," but the common user is not in any "tactical situation." After a while I get bored of the tactical black colour. I usually find myself saying "oh another black flashlight yay :( more lumens yay.. :/(in apathetic tone). I know that you can customise to your liking, but I do not have that kind of money to do that, or there is not many places that do that in Australia. Even the ones used for "hunting" come in, you guessed it, "tactical black." I know ZB comes in green(or more like olive green), but no real colour variation. I know the second choice would be getting titanium torch. I wish there were camouflage patterns or other colours. Does anyone else feel the same or am I alone in this?

Winnemuccaed

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why do flashlights(torches) only come in black?

Hello,

I understand why the standard colour is "tactical black," but the common user is not in any "tactical situation." After a while I get bored of the tactical black colour. I usually find myself saying "oh another black flashlight yay :( more lumens yay.. :/(in apathetic tone). I know that you can customise to your liking, but I do not have that kind of money to do that, or there is not many places that do that in Australia. Even the ones used for "hunting" come in, you guessed it, "tactical black." I know ZB comes in green(or more like olive green), but no real colour variation. I know the second choice would be getting titanium torch. I wish there were camouflage patterns or other colours. Does anyone else feel the same or am I alone in this?

I just got a Nitecore srt3 in grey. Very nice light.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are definitely not alone. I'm sure the reason is simple...having multiple colors means multiple SKUs, and if one doesn't sell, then all of a sudden you have a lot of useless inventory. That said, I think even some limited runs would be great, and if they sell well, more can always be made. Tons of keychain lights are available in all sorts of colors, but I would definitely like to see some more variety in larger lights.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Black is traditional, and it seems popular. Thus, lots of black.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Black, ii va iii glossy & flat, hard natural greenish, desert tan, the cerakote spectrum orange to blue, gitd white, bare al, bare ti & ss, copper, flame finished, brushed vs. blasted etc. the options are endless.

G. Scott H.

Enlightened

Funny lunas would post those. I just got a Z1 in blue, and I have an L2 in blue on the way. You're not alone. I don't have a problem with black, but I do like the idea of branching out into other colors. I'm thinking down the road of getting an L2 in gold and a stainless L2T, so I can mix and match colors as the mood strikes. :cool:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Thanks Norm, but there are none from my favourite Manufactures Thrunite, Nitecore, Fenix, Armytek and other brands I would like to know.

You weren't so specific in your OP :poke:

Malkoff used to make a nice pink md2.

A pink Malkoff MD2

MKP.jpg

Picture courtesy of weklund.

He makes colours in his MDC in colours, when they're available.

Norm

Last edited:

Stream

Enlightened

Maybe you should change the title to "Why do many flashlights(torches) only come in black?" That would be more accurate since many flashlights come in all sorts of colors. As for the ones that only come in black, I suppose it is a cost issue, and since black is popular for high end flashlights they go with that. Fenix-Store has or had a thread somewhere I can't find anymore, in it you could ask questions they would pass along to Fenix and you would get answers in the thread. If you can find it you can always suggest colors and hear what Fenix has to say about it

bdogps

Enlightened

If I knew I would mate. If the mods want too, they are more than welcomed too. :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say you may be alone. lol I call it TacBlack. That can be interpreted as you wish. :eeksign:
Nitecore Tube, colors galor
Fenix, makes some SS and Ti lights, tons of colors on key chain size lights.
Armytek has some color options on the Bezels to help jazz things up.

Of course, check around locally and see if you have someone who can powder coat or the like. Also see folks strip the finish to bare aluminum using oven cleaner then polishing. So you have some custom options as well.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeez, haven't you guys ever heard of exaggerating to make a point? Obviously it is possible to get a variety of colors, but an awful lot of lights (I dare say most that are of interest to CPFers) are offered in only one color...black. The OP already addressed secondary coating and custom work...it is pretty expensive to do after the fact. And while I appreciate the links to various color options, most of the lights in Norm's search would be considered "junk" grade on CPF...the color is not the only consideration.

Berneck1

Enlightened

I personally would like to see more lights in orange or yellow for emergency use.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sick of 95% of flashlights being black aluminum anodizing?

Info for the OP: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?247493-Flame-activated-Anodize-coloring

1. Take out the plastics, rubber, and electrics.
2. Bake in oven. Allow to cool.
3. Reassemble.
3. Receive gold and honey.

Also, strip it with sandpaper and bead blast it.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?209436-Anodizing-Home-Brew-Style!

Your stainless steel light turns yellow under heat.

Titanium does interesting things under heat as well. A custom maker here electrocutes his Ti hosts for some wild, wild effects.

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would say one option is to try doing it yourself on some cheap lights and see how well you did before moving onto the good lights. I'm not too bothered though other than it's more difficult to find them in the dark since they are naturally black. But then even with some yellow flashlights, it's still difficult to find them in the dark.

dss_777

Enlightened

I think a big issue is cost- black anodizing is probably more appealing to the majority of consumers. Economy of scale combined with lowest common denominator, and all that.

It's also a little sturdier than colored anodizing, which is said to require the extra step of a protective coating to maintain color-fastness.

Other protective coatings like Cerakote, are significantly more expensive.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Duracoat is a DIY cold process. I have a EDC knife covered in pink DC. Surface prep is 90% of the job. It also comes in a clear variant.

http://lauerweaponry.com/

Guns, knives, flashlights, metal building support beams, whatever.

It even comes in aerosol cans. It doesn't take a master machinist to do this. With proper masking and prep sealing, you don't even have to pull the electrics. The only problem is you, the user, not getting the surface prep done properly. Clean. Superclean. Then, go clean it again.

Also, there are cold coloring options. Van's Instant Blue or Birch Wood Casey's are examples, but they don't work on stainless. You'll have to strip any existing sealing/finish to do this. A local user did a flashlight with this stuff.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?394347-Made-it-purty

You, as the end user, have many many options to "fix" your black anodizing. It's up to you to research and implement. Just because it starts off one way by no means is a lifetime sentence of black anodizing.

Some people even strip the ano and polish out the light, though the surface is now much softer and scratch-prone. Naked lights. Woo. :naughty:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Jeez, haven't you guys ever heard of exaggerating to make a point?
My reply was in jest, hence the :poke:

Norm

Title edited as per the OPs request, title changes need to be done in advanced mode.