How to replace these batteries?

motorapido

Newly Enlightened
I am attempting to replace the batteries inside the battery pack of a Hoover Linx cordless rechargeable floor vacuum cleaner instead of buying the $60 unit from Hoover. Using a security Torx bit, I opened the battery pack and took the photos at this link https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...59&authkey=!AMADQEG-WealY0A&ithint=folder,jpg

Can anybody report information about how to remove this type of battery from the circuit board, before I proceed further without knowing what I am doing? I assume that if I can remove them, I could find an imprint with their specifications and then seek replacements. Info anybody? They are tightly affixed to the board, and I am not sure if this is with a sticky glue that can be removed or if they are soldered in place.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. It's not worth the trouble. Unless you have five cells sitting around, you will have to purchase new ones. Even if you could get reliable cells for $5 each, you would only save $35. At a more reasonable $8 figure, that drops to $20. In my mind, that is not enough savings to risk the entire unit on. Buy the pack from Hoover. That way you get the manufacturer's warranty on the pack, and any problems are theirs, not yours. If you want to play with the old pack and try replacing the cells as a learning exercise, go ahead and do so. I'm sure you can find some use for a 20v rechargeable pack. Charging it could be a pain, because I wouldn't plug it into the vacuum cleaner even for that. It's just not worth the possible downside.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am agreeing with getting the mfr pack. However, I'm saying *I* might take the old pack and strip the cells. Try them on a "battery analyzer." Some of them might work as onesies in a 18650x1 light. Maybes. Maybe not. YMMV. I'm certainly not saying for OP to try this.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I sell those very batteries for 6 batteries for just $12 shipped. you can see my sales thread on cpfmp. if you don't have someone who can solder, go to batteries plus. they rebuild packs for about half price of factory.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced similar cells in a spotlight by desoldering them and soldering in new tabbed cells. Worked fine. Desoldering with a desoldering station is easy --- if you have one. Desoldering braid can be used --- just a little trickier.... I would not solder directly to Li ion cells without tabs, though.... That can be dangerous.... If it were mine, I'd buy a new Hoover battery pack....