Question about Eagletac d25a strange behaviour

Michael Marie

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've recently bought an Eagletac d25a clicky (AA battery). I noticed that when I switch to moonlight mode in group 1 (by twisting head), that when I switch the flashlight off and on, it comes back with a somewhat brighter output. It's still a lower output than the "low" mode, however noticeable higher than moonlight. Consequently, I can only access the "real" moonlight by twisting the head, switching between group 1 output, never by just a single press of a button as the manual suggests.

I only noticed the above after a couple of weeks usage, but it's a pity, as I'd prefer to mostly use the lowest moonlight mode, which appears to be rather difficult to access. I'd appreciate if other owners of this flashlight could tell me if this is normal or a production fault.

Many thanks,
Michael

Berneck1

Enlightened
Are you giving it enough time in between turning it off and on? Perhaps it's just ramping up to the next level as if you are half-pressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

robert.t

Enlightened
It sounds like you haven't understood how the D25 mode selection works. You tighten and loosen the head 3* times while the light is on to switch between "low" and "moonlight". This is remembered permanently. If you turn the light off and back on again then it should come on in whichever one of those two modes you just selected. However, if you turn it off and back on too quickly (within about 2s I think), it registers the same as a soft press and switches up to the next mode, which is medium.

If on the other hand you are setting it to moonlight correctly and the light just isn't remembering that level correctly next time it's turned on (assuming it was left off sufficiently long) then that sounds like a fault. But then you'd need to be sure the level really is changing and it's not just that your eyes are adjusting to the ambient light differently and so it looks different when really it isn't.

You also might want to try a different battery in case it's that.

Last edited:

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
make sure all the contacts including the tailcap and make sure the tailcap is screwed on tightly as well.

Michael Marie

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Many thanks for your responses. Just to clarify:

In the manual it says to tighten / untighten the head three times to change between output mode, which is what I do and appears to work.
I've tried the change battery and leaving the light on for a while between switching off and on. I'm also absolutely sure that my observation on the output levels is correct - it's very noticeable.

Still, the moonlight output that I get after swithing from "low" to "moonlight" is not permantently remembered (i.e. when I swith the light back on after swithing it off, I end up with an output somewhat higher than "moonlight", however lower than "low").

Actually, to complicate the matter a bit, if (from "low" output), I toggle the head 5 times (instead of 3) I straight away get the output somewhat higher than "moonlight" (but lower than "low"). This means that by toggling the head back and forth, I can actually get three output modes in group 1 (rather than 2 as the manual suggests), however the lowest of those three, cannot be permantently remembered.

I can imagine a lot of people own the light and not noticing the above (as the flashlight does remember two modes in group 1 of different intensity, however just not the lowest output you can get by toggling the head), so I'd greatly appreciate if someone who owns the same flashlight could give this a go and test it (apologies if any of the previous posters have already done just that!)

Best regards,
Michael

robert.t

Enlightened
Sorry, it's only 3 twists not 5 to toggle between low and moonlight (I just checked the manual - it's been a while since I set this on mine).

Not sure where this extra mode is coming from. Doesn't happen on mine. What kind of battery (chemistry/voltage) are you using?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a faulty head to me. If in perfect condition, US dealers usually have a 30-day return period - I'd try and swap it.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Once you enable moonlight it should stay, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited: