Surefire g2 or 6p

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to get a surefire and was all set to get a g2 with it's great price to performance ratio until surefire went and slashed the price on the 6p. I really wanted a 6p but couldn't justify $84 for a flashlight and was goung to get the g2 since it had the same guts.

WIth the price difference as it is (only $22) does anyone have suggestions either way?

Also, I have my main edc (a mini maglite) outfitted with one o these http://www.summitpost.com/details/Flashlight-Friend/2224.html
Does anyone make anything like that for the surefire?

Thanks in advance for helpin' out a newly enlightened (pun partially intended) flashoholic.

N2

Empath

Flashaholic
Functionally, they're about the same. The G2 is a good light, but if appreciation of quality construction and art is important, the 6P wins.

oxanen

Newly Enlightened
I'd have to agree with Empath. I was really impressed with the construction and quality of my first Surefire which was aluminum bodied. Either way you'll be impressed.

Justin

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not owning the 6P I can only comment on the G2. I have had one for about 3 years and it still looks like new. I carried it on duty for a whole year when I didn't need a brighter larger light. It still looks good

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest functional difference is the lack of a lock out tailcap on the G2. That may or may not be important to you. I own a D2 (same as a 6P except with a clip) and a 9P, as well as three G2's. I keep two G2's in the gloveboxes of our cars and use the third in my garage. I sometimes wish the G2's in my cars had the LOTC because I'm afraid they might accidentally turn on when being jostled around in the glovebox. To remedy this, I just unscrew the bezel two turns and it won't turn on.

Price is a concern for most people, so if the LOTC isn't important, you can usually buy the G2's for $28-30 and the 6P for $50-60, so you could buy two G2's for the price of one 6P. If the price was the same, I'd definitely choose the 6P. If you could get in on the deal for a 6P for $40, I'd say go for it.

-Keith

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too don't have a 6p but my G2 is holding up really well. I like it also because of its weight, and the nitrolon body is able to withstand almost anything. Scratches or dings won't show up like it will on an aluminium body. But as Neonlights mentioned, if its a good deal you're getting, heck why not get the 6p first, cos the G2 will still be within the more affordable ($28-$30) price range anyways!

P/S, Also, the KL3 head would likely look nicer on a 6P than on a G2, I think.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
I find that there are different times to use both. For instance, when I'm working on my truck I use my G2 so it won't conduct electricity or scratch the paint.

I use the 6P for use with the P61 HOLA for better heat disbursment or converting to the 9P with an A19. There is a dealer selling the 6P for $40 so the difference is about $10.

If you really want to start out with a Surefire you'll love, get the E2e! It makes the G2 feel like a huge tank.

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
Matter of your prefference. I have used both. I like both, but for carry I prefer the G-2, becaus it looks like new after use. Where as the 6-P looks like it has been through WW3 after a while.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
outlaw said:
Where as the 6-P looks like it has been through WW3 after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the tough rugged look. Like a lifted truck with some mud on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Since you don't list your location or work, I'll also put in - the G2 being Nitrolon doesn't get as hot or as cold as the 6P. If you expose the 6P to freezing conditions, it may stick to bare skin. If you expose the 6P to extreme heat, it may be uncomfortably warm. Don't know the weather where you're at, but if you intend to belt carry or leave in a car or similar, it may be of concern.

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blackbeagle said:
Since you don't list your location or work, I'll also put in - the G2 being Nitrolon doesn't get as hot or as cold as the 6P. If you expose the 6P to freezing conditions, it may stick to bare skin. If you expose the 6P to extreme

heat, it may be uncomfortably warm. Don't know the weather
where you're at, but if you intend to belt carry or leave in a car or similar, it may be of concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! and the G-2 has in my opnion a better grip! (even when wet)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi, It is currently 16 here in North East Arkansas not sure how cold it gets where you are but there is a major difference in comfort in cold weather between the G2 & 6p the G2 is my choice on cold days for sure.
Topper

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Like others here I vote for the G2. I have used it for over 2 years on duty and it apart from being slightly shinier around the bezel edges it doesn't show any marks at all. (This includes numerous drops and general abuse)
The only draw back is the lack of a LOTC but that doesn't matter if it is carried in a V70 Holster or one of the nylon types which SF sells. Even if that is a problem do as others have suggested and just unscrew the bezel a couple of turns to prevent inadvertant activation.

The 6P is pretty, granted, but it is more expensive and wont illuminate an area any more on the stock P60 bulb than the G2. The maths are yours but if you do loose a G2 you'll not cry as much over the loss as with the 6P?

Doug

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have both, a 6P and a G2. I carry the G2 just about everyday and the 6P some days. I guess I carry the G2 because I use it at work and if it gets banged up or scratched, I won't feel as bad about it. I'm pretty hard on all my tools, so I buy for quality and reliability. I wish the G2 had a lock out tailcap, but like someone else said, just unscrew it a couple extra turns and that solves the problem. Another thing, the G2 has a lexan lens, and the 6P has a Pyrex lens. I haven't tried the high output lamp(120 lumens) yet, but I have heard that it will melt lexan if left on continuously. Based on how I am carrying, I am probably going to upgrade my 6P to the high output lamp and leave my G2 with the stock 65 lumen lamp. That way I can have two readily avaliable output options.

--Jason

N710

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to find a 6p for around $50 so I would recommend buying the 6p over the G2 for your first Surefire.

The 6p also has a pyrex glass lens where the G2 uses a plastic lens so the 6p is a little brighter and will not suffer from a scratched lens as easily as the G2 will.

You should also look at the E2e,its more compact,is avaliable with a hard anodized finish and has a glass lens and pocket clip,its the best! Save your money and buy this one!!

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
I have both, and yes, I am very protective of the 6P (having paid full price from Surefire for it/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif).

I keep G2's handy in my toolboxes and in the trunk of my car, and I don't mind having them knocked around. Since the performance is the same with the P60 LA in both, I can definitely say that my G2's are the workhorses. For day-to-day use and abuse, I recommend the G2.

I guess I treat my 6P like a work of art. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kiu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
N710 said:
The 6p also has a pyrex glass lens where the G2 uses a plastic lens so the 6p is a little brighter

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate my 6P-GM make by plastic lexan lens. So, i have give it to my sister.

Consider 6P and G2, i vote for 6P. however, have you ever consider the (further expensive) E2e? I threw away my 6P after i got my 1st E2e as EDC. Personally, I agree that 6P and G2 are both great, well made. But i use them lesser often than other flashlights that i own (outdoor, home, EDC)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
N710 said:
The 6p also has a pyrex glass lens where the G2 uses a plastic lens so the 6p is a little brighter and will not suffer from a scratched lens as easily as the G2 will.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6P does not have a Pyrex lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif