New ArmyTek Predator & Viking Pro v.3 no longer programmable

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
ArmyTek has released new versions of their Predator & Viking flashlights (also, surprised not to find any thread about it here).

I can't find any mention of the Pro version being programmable in anyway.
I hope it is a misprint because one of the prime reasons I was interested in the Predator was because of programmability (inspite of convoluted programming procedures).:sigh:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and now they're just another flashlight maker. They threw away something that made them unique. :(

I'm very sad.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
...and now they're just another flashlight maker. They threw away something that made them unique. :(

I'm very sad.

Programmability was what put them on the map, but maybe it isn't what will keep them there. By focussing on simpler (hopefully less expensive), still highly robust lights they can move on to a larger market.

It at least put the Predator Pro at the top of my acquisition list.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
An intelligent business would have kept full programmability as an option model, seeing as how it was already R&D'ed and in the field. Parts supply chain already established. Production already in place. If the argument is that a percentage of people DON'T WANT it, then make a model to satisfy them. Where are we going to get a flashlight as versatile as the program 2.5? Nowhere, now. Streamlight ten tap and custom DriverVN. Not Armytek products.

Dumb, Armytek. Really dumb.

I used to be a gigantic Armytek fan and highly recommended their products until they opened a thread here, asked us what we wanted, then did the exact opposite of what we said.

Why even bother to ask if you're going to disregard what your fans think?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-of-your-dream!&highlight=armytek+dream

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?397734-Predator-Predator-Pro-Tactical-lights
Don`t worry, we will have an unlimited edition of v3, so you will buy it.
smile.gif
No, Armytek. I won't. We wanted what we discussed, not what you've gone off and decided. You have now alienated some of your biggest fans and supporters.

No more free advertising from me.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
An intelligent business would have kept full programmability as an option model, seeing as how it was already R&D'ed and in the field. Parts supply chain already established. Production already in place. If the argument is that a percentage of people DON'T WANT it, then make a model to satisfy them. Where are we going to get a flashlight as versatile as the program 2.5? Nowhere, now. Streamlight ten tap and custom DriverVN. Not Armytek products.

Dumb, Armytek. Really dumb.

I used to be a gigantic Armytek fan and highly recommended their products until they opened a thread here, asked us what we wanted, then did the exact opposite of what we said.

Why even bother to ask if you're going to disregard what your fans think?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-of-your-dream!&highlight=armytek+dream

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?397734-Predator-Predator-Pro-Tactical-lights

No, Armytek. I won't. We wanted what we discussed, not what you've gone off and decided. You have now alienated some of your biggest fans and supporters.

No more free advertising from me.

I have to agree with this.

Between the excessive writing on the flashlights, bright yellow or white hard to push non-recessed buttons, and now lack of unique programmablity I really think Armytek is shooting themselves in the foot. I was going to order a Prime C1 Pro warm, Viking Pro warm, and the new Dobermann warm when it came out. Now I wont be buying any of them due to these changes.

There is enough mainstream light companies Armytek. You guys were different and offered some unique features. Now your just another mainstream Chinese light company. Bad decision if you ask me.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
While I do like the programmable feature, I personally don't use it. Although I do understand the great thing about customizing your light to your own liking. If dropping the programming means a lower price, it's ok with me. Don't like all the text on the light too.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well. No big deal, not the end of the world. "I've got mine," guess you could say.

I'm not angry or anything, just disappointed. It just popped my fanboy bubble, that's all. Hate it when that happens.

If dropping the programming means a lower price, it's ok with me. Don't like all the text on the light too.

The non-program preds were about $90 vs $110 for program. So, not much really much difference there. I have program and non program Preds already. The curse of buying both, right? :)

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand it is upsetting to you, but that doesn't make it a bad decision. Their own research indicated around two percent of people actually used the programming option (and this is of the people who bought the advanced version). This is a TINY number of people, a small niche of a niche market. And just because it was available in an existing product doesn't mean that it isn't still an added expense...I'm sure the non-programmable driver is cheaper and easier to make, and may even be less prone to failure, since it is less complicated.

It isn't like the wish for complex programming was unanimous, either. It was only one of dozens of suggestions in the thread you linked...and others wanted things kept simple. There was no way they could accommodate all suggestions, even if they wanted to do so.

Sorry to hear you are willing to let a single item get in the way of enjoying Armytek's lights...but let's keep it in perspective, here.

The non-program preds were about $90 vs $110 for program. So, not much really much difference there.

What? That seems like a substantial difference to me...nearly 20% price difference, for a feature that 98% of people don't use.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the AT stuff I have fine. Waiting for the new stuff was like waiting for Christmas and finding out you got socks and underwear. :)

...and they didn't drop the price on the new model, either. Like I said, not the end of the world. It's more like a nerd wanting even cooler toys and getting disappointed. No big deal.

I've got plenty of cool toys as it is. I could stop buying flashlights anytime I want... but I'm not going to. :)

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been considering getting an ArmyTek Predator for a while, but the advanced programming wasn't the reason. I was interested in an extremely durable dual output light with greater than typical cd, for less cost than a Surefire.

If the V3 will give me access to high and low with the ability to select the output with the light off, then I'll be completely satisfied.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non-program preds were about $90 vs $110 for program. So, not much really much difference there. I have program and non program Preds already. The curse of buying both, right? :)

What? That seems like a substantial difference to me...nearly 20% price difference, for a feature that 98% of people don't use.

There is more to it than that. The program version had dual circuits such that when one was damaged, the light would still run. The non program versions did not have this ability, thus less durable.

Also, they pocketed the 20% difference on the V3 as it's the same price the 2.5 pros were.

They're charging $110 for a non-programmable light now. Hey, it's their business to run. Not my call.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually avoided the Pro simply because all that programming turn twist etc etc made it have the user interface of a Rubiks Cube. Shouldnt have to go through all that to program it could have been done in more streamlined way. Cant wait to pick up the v3

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pure speculation, but who's to say ArmyTek is not working on an improved programmable light?

Given that Armytek found that only two percent of people used the programming option, I highly doubt it. Can't say for sure...maybe a simplified version would be more popular...but I would bet against them working on a new version.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a bit disappointed that they dropped the programming. I have the 2.5 Pro and it's great. But that being said, even here on CPF where flashlight nerds collect, many people found the programming overwhelming. If that happens here you gotta figure the average customer is going to be intimidated by it.