Anodising in the UK

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just had my modded P2X reanodised by these guys...
http://www.anodisingswindon.co.uk/price.htm.
The job was fast and first class. They are happy to make up an anodising batch with small bits, such as a flashlight, for a reasonable charge. It cost me 24 pounds plus postage for the P2X. Don't know if it was HAII or HAIII, but it looks damn good.
Just thought this would be helpful for UK modders.
Peter

ano1.jpg

ano2.jpg

Is is actually black, redness caused by the lighting. The finish is similar to Oveready Anodising.

Last edited:

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just had my modded P2X reanodised ... ... Just thought this would be helpful for UK modders.
Peter

QUESTION: The SF M3 has a golden-ish colour on the inside – anyone know what that is? Should it be removed before re-anodising? And how to do that?

Thanks, I will definitely be using them for a job soon. I called them, and spoke to a helpful Guy Named Gerald.

They only do Silver or Black – no other choices, but they can do HA3. He said their minimum charge was £45+VAT @ 20%(?), postage at cost extra, but the £45 would cover "a whole run", which could (As an example) consist of ~4 3D Maglites. To prepare the work, that is, to remove existing anodising, costs £25+VAT. I'll simply do that myself, using Caustic Soda.
(Perhaps a few UK members could group their lights to save further? Would need organising).

Whether the outcome is glossy or matte depends on the condition of the aluminium they start with, so a polished-up light would be glossy.
I'm thinking of having a light sandblasted, then sending it to them for the HA3 black, see what that looks like.

Thanks again Peter – your light above looks a gloss finish, is that correct? Or just my flawed vision?

I'd love to find someone who will electroplate an aluminium light in Nickel or Silver: at a reasonable price. Any UK members have contacts for that?

(I did find someone who would do a SF M3 in Nickel – but at ~£125, EeK!)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you found the post useful, mine must have been HAII, I didn't polish the aluminium too hard, so it's still quite matte.
No idea what the golden colour is on the M3, maybe varnish? Anyway that would come off in the Caustic Soda.
Getting a batch together sounds a good idea, getting new anno gives the light a new (cosmetic ) lease of life.
Be nice to see the effect after sandblasting, keep in touch.
P