old coins?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
when i was a little kid, i used to collect old coins.
while rummaging through some things today, i found some of them that i had forgotten about (found lots of other strange things also, but we won't go there), and was wondering if anyone was familiar with them, or what they might be worth (probably nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

it's a large picture, so i'll post a link to avoid excessive scrolling. link

if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. i can take closer pictures if need be.

paulr

Flashaholic
The silver coins are all worth a few times face value, except the walking liberty proof dollar is worth maybe $20. Simplest is just go to a coin shop and pick up a coin mag. It will be full of ads and price listings.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe that is a "walking liberty proof dollar", I believe it is a non-proof 1 ounce silver bullion coin, worth about seven dollars.

The two Franklin half dollar coins are silver and worth at couple of dollars for their bullion value Some Franklins have a decent collector value when in great condition . The Eisenhower dollars are worth about $1.005 each. The Canadian coin are probably worthless. The buffalo nickel appears to be too worn to be worth much.

I have no idea what the three copper coins at the left are. The one at the far left might be interesting to see a better view of. The kind of whitish penny might be worth a quarter or so if it is a steel penny instead of copper.

Sorry I don't have a more exciting appraisal for you.

Ebay is about the best way to get current ACTUAL values for coins.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yea, they aren't in the best conditions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

the copper ones (actually, one of the copper ones was an amusement park token, so i'll disregard that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), are pretty badly worn ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), but very old.

one of them has an indian head on it, and the date "1880"
where the other side has "once cent" surrounded in leaves.

the other copper thing actually doen't seem to be too old under further inspection, as the date seems to say 1990. it's so old-looking though that i'm not sure if that's what it really says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
it has a butterfly and what looks to be a "1t" above the butterfly.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Silviron's right about the Canadian coins, those are all currently circulating and have no silver content to boot.

I guess they're worth face vaclue if you come to Canada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1880 indian head cent would be worth somewhere between 5 cents and ten dollars depending on condition. It would have to be "as good as new" to make the upper ranges of price.

Some amusement park tokens can be collectible if they are old and from a specific park. Generic ones might get you a "free" game of Pacman at chuckee cheeze if they are the right size.

Here is a really old coin for those interested: 250K size. (2086 years old)

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
If the Walking Liberty dollar came with the plastic holder it may be a proof. Yours is missing the purple velvet box they came in. Only the proof coins have a shiny mirrored background with frosted details (liberty). Yours doesn't look like this but it may not show in the picture. The regular uncirculated ones are sold loose by the mint. My 2002 red book lists the production for the 1988 proof at 557,000 and a value of $45.00. The regular 1988 dollar lists for $11.00. A dealer will pay far less.

The Franklin (and any other pre 1965) half dollars can be valued by multiplying the spot price of silver by .3617,
so at yesterdays price of $6.27 your halves are worth exactly $2.27 each!

If you need to figure values for other silver U.S. coins you can multiply the price of silver by the following:

dimes .0723
quarters .1808
halves .3617
dollars .7734

This is only for "junk silver" common date coins in average condition. Also, silver dollars almost always sell for more than bullion value unless they are very worn.

George.