CMG INFINITY Light Using Various White LEDs?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone had the experience of receiving 2 different quality (color) of light with INFINITY?

I bought INFINITY (white) flashlights from 2 different stores two months ago and got a bright solid bluish-white light with the INFINITY from one store.

From the other store I got a INFINITY with a not-so-bright layering greenish-yellowish beam of light.

2d_edge

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had two Infinitys fail. No light. Seems it had something to do with putting the battery in the wrong way (I still don't know which way that is - there should be a marking in the barrel) and tightening it down tightly...supposedly the defect has been fixed...?

Brock

Flashaholic
I know they have gone through at least 2 different LED's since they started making them. They didn't call them infinity II's or III's, they just kept making them. So you might have got an older model with a dimmer LED in it.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I sent email to CMG inquiring if they were using 2 different types of white LED and told them about the INFINITY from the 2 stores, this is their reply;

=================
To: "xxxxxxxxxxx" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:13:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Infinity LED Light

Dear xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for you email. We use the same white LED for all lights
manufactured. With all LEDs, there is some variance within a certain lot or
between different lots, but we are use the same grade or quality LED with
each product.

If you returned the lights to Action Electronics, they should replace them
no problem if you are not satisfied with the product. It sounds like the
one you received from Triple Aught is definitely more typical.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

CMG Equipment
==================

Looks like their explanation was a different story and not very convincing.

2d_edge

SteveY

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by 2d_edge:
Anyone had the experience of receiving 2 different quality (color) of light with INFINITY?

I bought 2 infinity at the same store and each of them have different color light. One is blue-white and the other white with tint of yellow. I prefer the latter because it is easily for reading.

It is a great light though except that the black paint started peeling off after 2 to 3 weeks. I am considering either paint it black again or sand it down to its natural aluminium color. Any other suggestion?

Prometheus

Newly Enlightened
North American Continent, Earth, Sol System
the CMG lights have been a very good entry into the LED light arena. like any new LED light company they have growing pains and evolve with time and customer feedback.

overall we have very happy with them, and it is one of my personal favorites. i use my green one for backpacking.

when we first received them my first criticism was the powder coated paint was just asking to chip off with use. anything which finds it way into pockets or key chains will find themselves up against sharp metal keys and coins. we called CMG when we first got the lights and made the suggestion that they should make them with an anodized finish, which is much more durable, and from a marketing standpoint, much more eye catching due to the fact you can anodize in a rainbow of colors!

they have plans to switch over to anodizing the AL bodies sometime next year from what they told us.

------------------
Prometheus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Audaces Fortuna Iuvat"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
[url]www.tripleaughtdesign.com[/url]
Your best resource for the elite class in knives, edged tools & extreme gear.

Also please visit this site:
B.uy S.harp F.orums
Buy, Sell, & Trade Your Knives & Related Gear.
http://www.knifecorner.com/buy-sharp/
EMAIL: [email protected]

Prometheus

Newly Enlightened
North American Continent, Earth, Sol System
CMG claims the green color is the brightest. they do have plans of releasing a teal and blue colors to their line up. I personally use the green on backpacking trips and it works very well.

still, the Photon II's seem the brightest of all the mini LED lights.

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Yeah,

For some strange reason, my girlfriend is rough on flashlights and gear - and not necessarily from abuse! Anyways, after one day of carry/use, the CMG I got her recently is already starting to show wear and flaking of the powder coating.

I'm kind of disappointed in this. I agree with Prometheus that they should use anodizing. The latter won't flake, though, of course, it will wear also. I'm also very diappointed in the light output of the CMG's white LED - it's WAY wimpier than a Photon II's.

Glad I didn't keep it for myself!
smile.gif