perspex and brass battery holder / charging station

NeilP

Enlightened
Hi All

I am pretty sure I saw, on here or CPF, a multi fit, clear perspex, with brass fittings, battery holder or charger.

Does this ring any bells with anyone ? Designed to allow any size cylindrical cells to be connected up ..ideally to a charger.

I have some CC charge boards and want to make up a neat looking battery holder, that can be screwed in /out and adjusted to fit anything from AAA sized all the way up to 18650 or bigger.
The charge boards, can do CC all the way up to 5 amps.

I plan to remove the adjustable pot and fit fixed resistors, switchable for different charge currents, for different battery sizes.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 amps? Wow. Sounds a bit TOO fast...

If you want to charge any size, some use magnets to hold wires in place on the terminals of the battery. It's an easy hack to mod a charger to do this. 2 solder joints. Then again, most hobby chargers will take 10440/"AAA size" up to 18650 anyway.

I have a storebought charger that came with alligator clips on the leads and 2 rare earth cube magnets. Use it for 10440, 18650, bigger, smaller, whatever.

NeilP

Enlightened
Alligator clips, magnets, those black plastic battery holders etc is the way I do it now.

This is why I was trying to find the pictures of this Perspex/brass multifit adjustable holder unit, to neaten and make more user friendly the whole process. At the moment it is as you suggest, a bunch of wires, magnets, croc clips, random holders , an old PC server PSU and a iCharger 3010b.

5 amps is the max the CC board can regulate to. As I said, I am removing the adjustment pot and replacing with a set of fixed switchable resistors.

You are only considering 5 amps fast because you assumed I am only charging one cell. If I was charging 5 in parallel, that is only 1 amp per cell. It is all relative. My LiPo e-bike chargers are 2 & 4 kW, with charge currents of 20 and 40 amps, at 82 volt. :)

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 amps is quite acceptable for my 14.4v Shorai lithium iron vehicle batteries. :)