L5 buzzing noise, donut hole & fun fact

Mark2

Enlightened
Did you notice the buzzing sound the L5 makes when it falls out of regulation? There's a similar sound when you turn it on while the batteries are low.

Also, does anybody else's L5 have a small donut hole in the middle of the hotspot?

Fun fact: My L5 has a very obvious fingerprint on the reflector. I guess it would be easy to identify the person at Surefire who left it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am pretty sure it doesn't affect the beam at all, though. But every person who checks out the light immediately suggests to clean it, very funny... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

kaseri

Enlightened
Re: Surefire L5 owners: buzzing noise, donut hole & fun fact

I had a fingerprint on the reflector of a SF M6 that I used to own. For the amount of money that we spend on SF lights they should be 100% perfect.

llvo

Enlightened

Agree.

Paying such a price I want it to be free of defects.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

My L4 used to buzz, but after some usage the sound disappeared. I thought it buzzed while IN regulation.

Size15's

Flashaholic

At the end of January SureFire will do away with serial numbers and introduce fingerprint traceability throughout their manufacture and assembly process. You will be able to check whether the fingerprinted reflector and hair strand inside the bezel match the laser etched fingerprint on the body. An additional strand of hair and fingerprint will be shipped with each product giving you proof of purchase.

Al

bwcaw

Enlightened

Good one Al! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

I'm not joking.
What with SureFire suspending flashlight manufacturing for Q1 to fill WeaponLight orders there are many changes for 2004.

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire L5 owners: buzzing noise, donut hole

Al,

Seems that there will be quite a void to fill! I trust you haven't fallen into it?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
At the end of January SureFire will do away with serial numbers and introduce fingerprint traceability throughout their manufacture and assembly process. You will be able to check whether the fingerprinted reflector and hair strand inside the bezel match the laser etched fingerprint on the body. An additional strand of hair and fingerprint will be shipped with each product giving you proof of purchase.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woodsman

Newly Enlightened

Fingerprints on the reflector? That stinks!!
I hope I dont get one like that!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe Surefire could just invest in some of the white cotton gloves that people wear when handling expensive shiny things and don't want to leave fingerprints.

I bought a box of them several years ago from a coin dealer. I put them on (and have others put them on) when handling firearms or knives from my collection.

Fingerprints can contain all sorts of things that are harmful to shiny metal. Moisture, salt, and acid suspended in skin oil that insures it stays put on the metal.

I bought a Sima LensPen from Flashlightlens.com a few weeks ago and it works great for dusting out reflectors and bezels and cleaning smudges off lenses.

But, fortunately, I haven't encountered a fingerprint from the factory on a reflector.....yet.

Britt

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Re: L5 buzzing noise, donut hole & fun fact

To return, if only for a moment, to the question originally asked by Mark2 - my Surefire L5 has no doughnut in the hotspot, does not buzz and lacks a fingerprint on the reflector. The more I play with it, the more I like it.
Terry f

BeagleLight

Flashaholic
Re: L5 buzzing noise, donut hole & fun fact

Sorry to hear Mark2. My L5 also has no doughnut hole, does not buzz (at least not that I have noticed) and lacks the new SF fingerprint mark of authenticity...possible fake? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BeagleLight said:
My L5 also has no doughnut hole, does not buzz (at least not that I have noticed) and lacks the new SF fingerprint mark of authenticity...possible fake? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you got a cheap fake that was manufactured in some clean Chinese factory. I bet your anodizing is perfect, too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif