What is a 'TXOH emitter' from 2006?

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
I bought a RCR2 powered custom light back in 2006 with a 'TXOH emitter'. Its been so long since I can't remember what kind of emitter that was and google isn't helping. I think its a Luxeon 3?

Does anyone know? How would it stack up to current comparable modern emitter per watt?

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
Yep, Lux III TX0H

Exolion ? JiL ?

Modern emitters are, of course, more efficient ....

Original Exolion Ti CR2 with the flupic.

How much more efficient are modern equivalent wattage emitters? I'm basically trying to figure out if its worth it to try to swap the emitter.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you can find the datasheet. Here you can find the Luxeon Binning and labeling document.

"TXOH" tells us the Efficiency-Bin, the Color-Bin and the Vf-Bin.
T = 67.2-87-4 Lumens (presumeably @700mA) - @1000mA it would be 28% more
XO = 6700K
H = 3.03V-3.27V

Thats 29.36 - 41.21 Lumens per Watt @700mA and 25°C (in reality the LED will be warmer and a bit less efficient)

Lets compare that to some current Cree LEDs. To do this you can just use the Cree PCT. It's really easy. Which emitter you use depends on what kind of beam you want. Smaller hotspot, more throw and a bit less lumens oder wider hotspot, less throw and even more lumens.

If you want maximum efficiency and a wide, floody beam you should use the new Cree XP-L. Compared to the more well known XM-L2 it's a little bit more efficient. If you want more throw either the smaller XP-G2 oder the even smaller XP-E2 will make more sense. They should yield a more comparable beam to the luxeon since the XP-L has a larger DIE.

Here is a comparison with all LEDs @700mA and 25°C and each in the best Bin currently available:

VfLumensLumens/Watt
XP-L V62.97V381183
XP-G2 S33.04V323.4152
XP-E2 R43.19V260116.4
Now remember, even though the smaller LEDs are less efficient, they are running much closer to their specified maximum current ratings. They will produce more throw.
Compared to the old Luxeon LEDs you can alos get the new LEDs in much nicer tints and even with higher CRI rating (those are a bit less efficient though). You can also de-dome them to get 90% more Lux at the same current with the same reflector/optic. This is basically ten years! of technical evolution. It's definitely worth it to put in one of these. ;)

Last edited:

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
Thanks for the effortpost Driver!

If I'm not mistaken, the LuxIII I have should have a 5.5-5.8mm dome. The reflector is a McGizmo McR-16. And if I decide to put an XM-L in there, it should at least fit as the dome diameter of the XM-L should be a little less than 5mm. Not sure about XM-L performance in the McR-16 reflector but I take it I don't really have many choices given my size constraints in the Exolion host.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do recall from time to time TWOH would become available and the entire CPF goes nuts. I was never quickly enough to get a U bine but I think it was exceedingly rare to get U bins with H Vf.

I bought a few TWOH and built a couple of DD 2D Maglite out of it due to the low Vf of the LED and it works great.

I still have a couple of XX1S emitters in my parts bin that I never built anything with. I think my original plan was to put them in a KL4 but right afterwards the Crees came out...

Never got the elusive XWOS though.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the effortpost Driver!

If I'm not mistaken, the LuxIII I have should have a 5.5-5.8mm dome. The reflector is a McGizmo McR-16. And if I decide to put an XM-L in there, it should at least fit as the dome diameter of the XM-L should be a little less than 5mm. Not sure about XM-L performance in the McR-16 reflector but I take it I don't really have many choices given my size constraints in the Exolion host.

Why do you want an XM-L? The XP-L is smaller and brighter.