Thrunite TN12 - Beam Modifier?

-MS-

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

New boy on the forum, so I'll get my dumb questions out of the way in this post :rolleyes:
I've just bought a TN12, having used a LED Lenser P7.2 and I'd like narrow the beam's spill (for light painting when out photographing stuff).
Obviously it doesn't zoom, so I'd like buy or make something that I can simply attach to the front to give me a narrow beam when needed.

The only thing I've found so far is the Nitecore NDF25 (which is a slightly tapered clear diffuser) h**p://www.nitecore.co.uk/Shop/Products/Accessories/12364-Nitecore-NDF25-Clear-Diffuser.html
My idea would be to drill a small hole (1/8" or 1/4" at the bottom, spray paint the inside silver and the outside black.

Do you think this idea would work or can you suggest any better bought or home made solutions?
Basically, I need a cone shaped attachment which is reflective on the inside and can be attached to a 25.4mm /1" diameter torch/flashlight.
I've tried the cutting a hole in a black card trick, and using silver card in a cone shape, but I'm wanting a more robust solution.

Thank you for any advice.

Mark

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy a led lenser 7.2

That.

Or you could buy a cheap aspheric lens zoomie like a Sipik 68, then salvage the lens from it and attach it to the front of your Thrunite. If you make sure it's focused you can get a very narrow and bright beam. The downside is you'll also get an ugly ring around your beam showing every texture and ripple in the reflector.

A better option if you really need a narrow beam is to just buy a zoom flashlight.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aspheric lenses are really cheap in general, as long as you can tack them to another order and save shipping. I bought my last aspheric optic for .80 cents US, IIRC.

Mitigate the ugly aspheric optic rings by blacking out the interior of the light. If there's a reflector, remove it. If anything left isn't black, black it out with something.

Alternatively, the rings become unnoticible in a small frame picture with enough distance between light and target. Aspherics can give some pretty awesome throw.