Painting reflector

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
I like to run a 2000+/- grit paper on a smooth reflector attached to a drill and make the reflector a floody profile with almost no hot spot. Well someone suggested I try painting the reflector. Ideas suggestions about painting a reflector...what color ? Obviously not black as that will just soak up the light.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just want to break it up a bit but keep the reflectivity(?). I use Krylon crystal clear, and just mist it on from a distance. Sometimes more than one application.

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Anyone thought about a glossy white and when its wet to extreme dust it in glow powder. Translucent powder, so there is artifacts in the beam.

wjv

Enlightened
Spark uses a medium grey on their floody lights.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone thought about a glossy white and when its wet to extreme dust it in glow powder. Translucent powder, so there is artifacts in the beam.

My Zebralight H502R red floody headlamp does exactly this. At first, I thought their glow dust was junk compared to the "WOW GLOW" I get from V10 ultragreen. Then I realized that red light not only doesn't charge GITD, but may actively UNCHARGE it! Hmm. I then found better results charging the GITD on the 502r with something else and then using it as a glow worm, bypassing the low red alltogether. I can read a book for about 30-45 sec usable light between charge. I can see it in the dark for much longer.

So maybe the GITD white mule lens wasn't optimal for a red emitter...? Oh well. Still love the light, though. I guess all it needs is an UV emitter swap! :)

EDIT: Forgot to say that my H502R is undocumented stock with GITD mule white-out "reflector." This is not a mod!

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry (HDS) has such a reflector coming out... post #955 and #1028 in the HDS #18 thread, if interested.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 type or ? I don't own a HDS but it is on my very long list of lights to own.

It's proprietary for HDS lights, but after it comes out, I'm sure there'll talk about what material it's made of etc, for the DIYers with other lights.

Latest posts