Has anybody used the UST flashlights?

Berneck1

Enlightened
I purchased a couple of Ultimate Survival Technologies flashlights. I wanted something that was reasonably inexpensive, yet decently built. I also liked them because they are orange, so it's clear they are for emergency use. This way my family knows to keep them in their designated space. And finally, I wanted something that I didn't mind lending out to someone if I had to.

I only have one complaint about these flashlights. (I have the 2xAA and 3xD cell lights) The beam pattern is way too smooth. I thought I would like this, but I find it distracting when trying to locate something in the dark. It's great when tail-standing to light up a room, but terrible if you want to pinpoint something in a room. Without the hotspot I normally get with most flashlights, I'm unable to overpower any shadow that might be obstructing the area in which I'm looking. It's one large solid circle of light.

Has anyone else felt this way about these lights? The runtimes are actually excellent. The 30-Day flashlight actually lasts 30 days on low! I have tested it. Aside from the beam, I really like having them for an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

1DaveN

Enlightened
I've got two of those little UST "zipper" lights, a 10 lumen one and a 20. Under $10 (one might have been under $5), they've survived a lot of pockets full of junk, and they're super convenient just because I've always got one with me. The beam pattern is a little weird, as you describe, but I only use it in a pinch anyway. I got them instead of the Streamlight Nano, which a lot of people said turn on accidentally and end up dead when you need them (which these don't).