Can ARC AA take 3.6 volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

z06cajun

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of Tadrian High Energy Lithium AA batteries rated at 3.6 volts. Can I use them safely in my ARC AA?

Thanks!!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3.6v Lithium Primary cells typically are for memory backup and cannot provide a lot of current. The cell will probably sag so much under the ~250mA load that the voltage will not be a problem. Not a very good bang for the buck compared to the other chemistries.

We get this question from time to time.

Peter

jtice

Flashaholic
WOW,,, so it wont blow the circuit huh?
Very interesting.

What if by chance,,, he had a lithium that didnt sag as much? I would think this is kinda dangerous to be trying.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
red_robby said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif why bother ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never tried an Arc but on the CMG Infinity you get a considerable increase in brightness (with much diminished runtime).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just took the Tadrian lithium thionyl chloride 3.6V cell out of my Tektite Micra Lithium, and popped it into my Arc AA. I expected the Arc to be about the same brighness, but it was DIM DIM DIM!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I could look directly into the LED without discomfort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif When I put a regular AA back in, the Arc was back to its good old bright self. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I remember, the Micra Lithium only draws 9.6mA off a brand new Tadrian cell, which is much more appropriate for that battery than what the Arc AA needs.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
iirc the input limit is the vf of the led.
gotta look at the surplus arc-aaa boards i got.

Status
Not open for further replies.