Malkoff M60 vs. M61 vs. SF 6PX / HDS 200 Upgrades?

Jackyl

Enlightened
I haven't paid the flashlight world any attention in quite a while now so I'm not sure what my options are for upgrades these days. I have an original SF 6PD with an early production M60 drop-in. I THINK it is 250l, but don't recall which emitter...seems like R2 era or the one just prior, but it uses the optic rather than a reflector.

How do the current model M61 drop-ins compare? They haven't gone the import route have they? How does the throw, spill, and tint compare?

I see Surefire has finally gotten on board with a new style 6P LED at 320l. Pros/cons of going stock over the drop-in other than I prefer the original tube?

I also have an HDS 200 Rotary that I really like, but more output would be nice. Does Henry or any of our qualified forum members offer an emitter upgrade for it? How about a Ti. bezel?

Thanks!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry has 320 and 250 lumen models out, just a larger hotspot on the 320.

I have both the M60 and M61. No optic on the M61 so you will lose a little throw and get a bigger hotspot.

I purchased one of the new style 6P's a while back when they were at 200 lumens I believe.
I just remember the lens getting scratched up from simple wipes with a t-shirt. The lens's were plastic, I'm
not sure if they upgraded to glass with the latest. Maybe someone can chime in on that?

Here are some beamshots from PSM :)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Malkoff-M61!&p=3295926&viewfull=1#post3295926

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
No optic on the M61 so you will lose a little throw and get a bigger hotspot.

I never had an M60 but I did have an M30 briefly and I like the reflector better than the optic... Just wanted to add that the M61 works better with a single lithium ion than the M60 if that's of any concern!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Malkoff drop-ins, hosts, and heads are still made in Alabama.

In the tint realm, we have more options now than existed initially. In addition to the old 6000K cool and 3000K options, 4000K XP-G2 and 4500K high CRI Nichia 219 A and B drop-ins are also available (219A in used market only).

M60s delivered 235 lumens, while the latest XP-G2 Cool M61s are spec'd at 325 lumens.....and the above descriptions of more spill and less spot are correct.

In addition to single mode M61s, Gene has created a three mode M361, in both cool and Neutral (4000K) tints. The sequence is L-M-H, with no memory, and they use PWM.

I've currently got one M60, but for everyday use, I prefer the M61's beam pattern.

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
Thanks guys!

ETA: Ahhh hell, the emitter type is right there in my sig. DERP.

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I have an older M60 and several of the new M61s. IMHO, the M61 beam is more pleasant and generally more useful.
I have an M61W in a custom 6P that is my overall favorite that type of light. Generally, I prefer the older SF classics w/ Malkoff drop-ins to the new Surefire line despite that it costs a bit more to get there. I like the lego options - just my taste.

dss_777

Enlightened
Just know that the head on the G2X 320L Surefire is non-replaceable. It's a sealed unit and no longer compatible with P60 style dropins. Pretty sure all the new Surefires are NOW that way.

OTOH, Gene has come up with some truly brilliant standalone lights WITH the MDC, Hounddog and Wildcat variants.