Olight M2X UT JAVELOT...1/2 mile beam?

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
okay...so we all know what the ad says, but who has ever called them out on it? Yeah, we all talk lumens, we all talk throw, spill, runtimes, etc.

I'm the idiot that wants to know if there is any validity to the "beam distance" spec.

Well guess what boys and girls...sit down and read this for a second...

The building I work in is white...easy to see from great nightime distance. Using an iphone app called "Map Measure, I can see that the used car lot down the street is 816 meters away. MORE than 1/2 mile. Well ladies and gentlemen, you guessed it. From 816 meters away, I can see illumination on the side of my building! Traffic constraints prevented further testing, but it is obvious I can stretch another 15-20 meters out of it. Also, keep in mind that my Javelot is filtered with a LEE 279 filter.

So there you have it...if there are any naysayers here, you just been had. With my own eyes I saw my tiny assed flashlight throw to the advertised 1/2 mile distance!! Damn impressive when you think about it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Candlepowerforums

Capolini

Banned
Stock version is pretty impressive. Since I am so used to modded lights,,,,,,,had to get this modded! Now it throws ~300m more than stock,,,,,~280/300Kcd

I have tested several of my lights@ .85miles/1287m/1408yards. Target"water tower. I have one now that is ~750Kcd [TK61vn V4] which is 1 mile 300 yards of throw! I will test that when it warms up!

Here is STOCK M2X on Left and my modded M2Xvn w/U3 PDTc direct drive ON Right.
DSC_2020_zpse39491d4.jpg

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Im impressed with it in stock trim. I have no modded lights in my collection. :( I do not posess the knowledge to do any mods myself. Switch cap colors, and tint changes with filters is as far as I can go.

Tell me about your mod. How would I get the same? How does it affect LED life, runtimes, etc.

It seems from the photo it is a huge increase!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Candlepowerforums

Capolini

Banned
I did not do the mod!! Here is the info. on that! M2Xvn mod/info is #44 on the list

Run time averages about 60% to 80%
of what it gets as a stock light. That is a general estimate. As far as LED life,no one knows for sure yet because the modders have not been around long enough. There is NO argument that the more they are driven[current boosts] the less likely they will last as long. LED's are the cheapest to replace and last Thousands of hours as it is. The driver would be the main concern. To me it is worth it. I have modded lights from 6 months to a year and a half old. They are ALL working well.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?371949-V54-Light-List

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had my M2X UT for almost two weeks now and am still slack jawed by its performance. I tested it out in a large local park with a dense treeline on the other side of it from the entrance which I can confidently say is roughly 650 yards. The Javelot is no joke! It lit the treeline up with a big perfectly defined hotspot. I am positive it could meet manufacturers specs. Capolini how did you get Vinh to mod yours?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets not forget, ANSI FL1 Beam Distance is a calculated figure, not a directly measured one. So just shining it and eye-balling the results won't necessarily tell you the whole story.

This is the same with cars when (if in EU/UK) are you looking at NEDC mpg claims.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I've missed the posters intention, I believe that he read the claims and has substantiated what was claimed. The light out performs his expectations.

Love the one I have for throw.

Olight hit a grand slam with this light!
Hope the M3x-UT is as good.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Lets not forget, ANSI FL1 Beam Distance is a calculated figure, not a directly measured one. So just shining it and eye-balling the results won't necessarily tell you the whole story.

This is the same with cars when (if in EU/UK) are you looking at NEDC mpg claims.

understood...but to visibly SEE my building from 1/2 a mile away with this light is MUCH better than reading it on a chart. My point was it was as impressive as the "chart" would suggest. I was not looking do debunk any claims.

Last edited:

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Unless I've missed the posters intention, I believe that he read the claims and has substantiated what was claimed. The light out performs his expectations.

Love the one I have for throw.

Olight hit a grand slam with this light!
Hope the M3x-UT is as good.

exactly!

John7Boy

Newly Enlightened
It just beats my Thrunite TN32 for throw of hotspot and that's saying something!

Capolini

Banned
It just beats my Thrunite TN32 for throw of hotspot and that's saying something!

??? Something must be wrong w/ your TN32. That is measured ~ 230/250KCD. Stock M2X is 164Kcd.:thinking:

I had both of the lights,,,,,,,as indicated in earlier posts my M2X is modded now.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
My M2X is stretching across a section of field on my property at 900 yards in stock form. I'm very impressed with it and cant wait to get the M3X. I wish the tint wasn't warm but that's the only thing I dislike I can however live with that with all the throw this light has I'm running it on duel 18650 with the extension.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
??? Something must be wrong w/ your TN32. That is measured ~ 230/250KCD. Stock M2X is 164Kcd.:thinking:

I had both of the lights,,,,,,,as indicated in earlier posts my M2X is modded now.

selfbuilt measured the TN32 at 191k cd and the M2X at 196k cd.

savumaki

Enlightened
I just got mine today and it is all I hoped for--WOW. I guess you can mod it, but since I can't see out to its limits now I'll stick with it as is.
If you want a thrower at a very decent price, this is the one

Capolini

Banned
selfbuilt measured the TN32 at 191k cd and the M2X at 196k cd.

He is NOT the only one capable of measuring these lights!

SB was 40Kcd under on the TN32 compared to another member on here and BLF who was very close [230Kcd] to Manufacturers specs.. SB was 32Kcd above manufacturers specs on the M2X? There are a lot of variables. Method of measuring, Distance used ect.

Not always a matter of right and wrong,,you get another guy measuring and he would most likely have different results.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
He is NOT the only one capable of measuring these lights!

SB was 40Kcd under on the TN32 compared to another member on here and BLF who was very close [230Kcd] to Manufacturers specs.. SB was 32Kcd above manufacturers specs on the M2X? There are a lot of variables. Method of measuring, Distance used ect.

Not always a matter of right and wrong,,you get another guy measuring and he would most likely have different results.

I am fully aware that selfbuilt is not the only one capable of measure lights, I was merely stating his results.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
My M2X is stretching across a section of field on my property at 900 yards in stock form. I'm very impressed with it and cant wait to get the M3X. I wish the tint wasn't warm but that's the only thing I dislike I can however live with that with all the throw this light has I'm running it on duel 18650 with the extension.

I am the original poster here. I am in a unique position where I work in a lighting company. I was able to obtain sample sheets of LEE filters #249 and #279. These filters reduce your "green" tint. My original distance test, was with #279 which is 1/8 minus green. So FILTERED, it easily reached the advertised distance. I have several filters already cut for this light. PM me your address, and I will send you out one, complete with install instructions.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
hey guys!!! I got a FEW responses for a filter...I dont have many of these and I offered it up as a gesture to the guy that was disappointed in his tint color. Sorry to the others, but if I happen to get more sample sheets, I can cut a few!!

EDIT!!! few days later....
I have a total of 8 precut filters to fit the M2X. I will send a filter and installation instructions the first 8 people that PM me their address!! Enjoy!!!

"laur" and "djburkes" yours are on their way!

Last edited:

molimelight

Newly Enlightened
Stumbled on to this light by lurking these forums and I have to say, although I'm new to the flashlight addiction, I'm really impressed by the throw and the quality of the build of this flashlight. I feel much safer walking the pooch at night. I have no doubt this light will discourage the aggressive dogs that belong to my rude neighbor who can't seem to keep them fenced. Since I'm new here I figured this would be a good place to use one of my first three posts! :D

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the madness. I think you made a good choice for a first light. Get the battery extension tube and you'll double your run time without adding much weight.