*NEW* Fenix UC30 Rechargeable Flashlight

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=1161&tid=12&cid=1

elX2R63.png

Phlogiston

Enlightened
:thanks:

I was wondering how this light differs from the UC35, so I read the Fenix page from that perspective. So far, I've seen that:

• the UC30 has one less mode than the UC35. The 50lm mode is gone and the other modes are respaced accordingly. Complete mode lists: UC30 - 960, 400, 110, 10lm & strobe; UC35 960, 480, 180, 50, 14lm & strobe.
  • the UC30 seems only to have a side switch, judging by the images. Caveat emptor: the images aren't clear enough to be definitive and the text says nothing either way. The UC35 has a side switch and a tail switch.
  • the UC30 is 20mm shorter than the UC35, which would make sense if there's no tail switch. Lengths are: UC30 - 130mm; UC35 - 150mm.
  • the UC30 might tailstand, if there's no tail switch, whereas the UC35 does not tail stand. However, I didn't see any mention of tail standing in the text.
  • "only when the Micro-USB port is covered will the UC30 be waterproof", whereas the UC35 is "waterproof to 2m for 30 minutes even if the anti-dust cover is unplugged".
Just going on the spec, I think I'd prefer the UC35. Although I do suspect that the UC30 will be set at a lower price point, I'd probably still pay extra and get the UC35. Of course, if the UC35 could tail stand, there'd be no contest - UC35 all the way.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm a shortened not really waterproof UC35 that appears to have only one switch. Normally I jump on anything thats a Fenix and new but in this case Ill stick to my UC35.

markr6

Flashaholic
It says "anti-roll", but seems like that is relying on the small side switch. I don't see anything else to keep it from rolling all over.

I would be surprised if it didn't tail stand looking at some of the photos.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly? I like the mode spacing better on this than the UC35. The 50 seemed like a waste of a step to me, especially when your thumb has to click through the extra level. If it's under or at 130mm, aka 5", then it's that much more pocketable due to dropping the extra inch.

As for the waterproofing, I never did trust the press release saying it was fully waterproof to 2m without the cover.

I'm going to keep an eye out for this, to see how well it does as a companion to the UC40 UE.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to interrupt this thread, but would you guys consider this the best single-18650 EDC flashlight on the market? Just curious what is comparable; these stats are impressive!

Tom

1DaveN

Enlightened
It says "anti-roll", but seems like that is relying on the small side switch. I don't see anything else to keep it from rolling all over.

Two things: this reminds me most of the E25, and at least there, the switch doesn't help a bit with anti-roll. And, with some other models, I've seen Fenix note that a light will tail stand. I wouldn't be surprised if the fact they don't comment means you're right and it won't.

Still, $30 cheaper than a UC35. I wonder how big a deal it is that you have to have the USB port cover in place for it to be waterproof. I might use a flashlight in the rain, but never deliberately in standing water. If it falls in accidentally, it's almost surely gone anyway. Not sure how I feel about the lack of a tail switch - on one hand, the size is great. On the other, sometimes the side switch is a little fumble in the dark.

I'm looking forward to some reviews. The UC35 has been on my short list for my next purchase - maybe this one will replace it.

Zeyeman

Newly Enlightened
"-Press and hold the switch for 0.5 seconds to turn the flashlight on/off."
OK, some of their headlamps work that way, not my favorite UI though.

"With the light on, press the switch to cycle the brightness through Turbo -> Low -> Mid -> High."
Does this mean the light turns on in Turbo mode? And no memory, no programming? Say it's not true...

1DaveN

Enlightened
"-Press and hold the switch for 0.5 seconds to turn the flashlight on/off."
OK, some of their headlamps work that way, not my favorite UI though.

"With the light on, press the switch to cycle the brightness through Turbo -> Low -> Mid -> High."
Does this mean the light turns on in Turbo mode? And no memory, no programming? Say it's not true...

It has mode memory, although they don't make it easy to tell that. Scroll through the pictures until you find the one that looks like a chip and talks about digitally regulated output - it's on there. It seems to be exactly the same UI as the E25, with the added charging and low battery indicators.

I wish Fenix would make the user guides more available for download or viewing online.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Notice there is no pocket clip and it essentially has the same UI as the UC40UE just with a better switch. No thanks Ill stick to my UC35

ven

Flashaholic
Does have my interest due to size,but i think the uc35 makes a better choice,as above with no clip is not the best,not to mention no clicky but can see the latter to keep compact. I like..............not sure enough to invest!

Still a convenient edc light to have in the car maybe............i need a bigger glove box:whistle:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
best single 18650 EDC on the market is totally subjective. The compactness of the UC30 will sell a lot of them I am sure for those that just think of an EDC light as something they always shove deep in a pocket/no need for a clip, aside from that the lack of a clip and its lack of being waterproof without the USB port being sealed will turn off many.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
already having the UC40UE means I already have a Fenix light with the same UI. Already having the UC35 I already have a Fenix EDC light thats waterproof, has a clip, has the updated side switch, has an awesome tail switch and better ergonomics and heat sinking than the UC30. The compact size and $30 less than a UC35 is appealing but nah...

andrew2

Newly Enlightened

It can tail stand,someone asked this question,fenix had posted a picture on the facebook

rc51mike

Newly Enlightened
I like this one. I'm not a fan of two button and tactical switches. Pocketable, good output and uses any old micro USB cable. This will make a good everyday light. I've been looking for an 18650 light and this might be it, finally.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they couldn't make it waterproof even with the cover open like the UC35? Just cheaper not to do so? It's weird seeing a Fenix light that isn't basically 100% waterproof at all times.

If we're being honest though does it really matter 99 percent of the time? The only time I've submerged my Fenix lights is in a pool at night. I guess you have to make a mental note NOT to do that with this light. Otherwise normal rain and splashing should be fine with the UC30. I like the short size. Hmm.... had to say which I like more between this and the UC35.

ven

Flashaholic
I wonder why they couldn't make it waterproof even with the cover open like the UC35? Just cheaper not to do so? It's weird seeing a Fenix light that isn't basically 100% waterproof at all times.

If we're being honest though does it really matter 99 percent of the time?

Agree 100% ,for me should just have one standard and water proof with cover open,even if $5 more its something that gives people piece of mind,especially in the UK where it likes to rain...........or rain:)

lightskies

Newly Enlightened
This looks like a great all-around multipurpose light. Perfect to have on your desktop and sometimes take with you on the go.

I would have liked to see a USB-C charging port instead of micro-USB, and waterproof even without the dust cap.

But those are being picky, I ordered a UC30 anyway.