Remove the writing off a solarforce light

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
is there a way to rub this writing off of the tail cap without ruining the anodizing finish?

20150317_101818_zpsis4zkagr.jpg

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks laser-etched to me...if so, then the writing is the bare metal...only way to get rid of it would be to strip the surrounding anodizing so that you'd end up with a ring of bare metal.

The Greased Lightning I mentioned in the other thread will do this without pitting the metal...just put a very small amount in a shallow dish and set the part on it...you could also mask the area around the edge with tape to make sure you get a clean edge.

You could also beadblast it...I've done that on titanium items where people have plastered their so-called "branding" all over the item...that works well too. Pretty much any time I buy something that has branding all over it, I do my best to remove it. I don't even put maker's marks or tags or anything like that on the things that *I* make and sell...I think it looks gawdy and tacky and usually detracts from the appearance of the item most of the time...

I don't know how you would be able to remove the text without also removing the anodizing...unless you were to have it re-anoidized by someone (would probable be expensive)...

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Looks laser-etched to me...if so, then the writing is the bare metal...only way to get rid of it would be to strip the surrounding anodizing so that you'd end up with a ring of bare metal.

The Greased Lightning I mentioned in the other thread will do this without pitting the metal...just put a very small amount in a shallow dish and set the part on it...you could also mask the area around the edge with tape to make sure you get a clean edge.

You could also beadblast it...I've done that on titanium items where people have plastered their so-called "branding" all over the item...that works well too. Pretty much any time I buy something that has branding all over it, I do my best to remove it. I don't even put maker's marks or tags or anything like that on the things that *I* make and sell...I think it looks gawdy and tacky and usually detracts from the appearance of the item most of the time...

I don't know how you would be able to remove the text without also removing the anodizing...unless you were to have it re-anoidized by someone (would probable be expensive)...

unfortunately my camera doesnt pick up the details i can see with my eye, there is texture on the letters the same texture as the anodizing do that means its been put on with heat am i wrong? It's the same labeling used on CB Radios, and even remote controls ( as we all know that stuff especially on remotes wears off in due time, and i have come across Solarforce lights where the label was highly faded)

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if it really is just paint and not laser etched, then you could try soaking that piece in lacquer thinner or acetone...I would try it on a tiny, inconspicuous area to test first though...

Or...you could mask off the rim and powder-coat just that part flat black. That would probably look nice and be relatively durable too...powder coat machines are really cheap at Harbor Freight and then you'll start finding all sorts of stuff that you'll want to powder coat once you have the ability to do it. :)