Fenix EO5(2014) vs. ITP A3 EOS(upgraded): Low setting comparison

osalsa

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Fenix EO5 after using the ITP A3 (upgraded) as an EDC for several years. I have been well satisfied with the A3: L-M-H interface, absolutely reliable, a very usable flood beam pattern, and good runtime. I use the low setting 99% of the time. I use the light at least several times every day, and consider it to be indispensable. ITP claims a runtime of 50 hrs. with 1.5 lumens on low, using an alkaline battery. I recently did a runtime test on it at low intensity with a fresh AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery, and it quit at 14.5 hrs. Quite a surprise, and a disappointment! That result led me to examine more recent 1xAAA offerings, and I ordered the Fenix EO5, 2014 edition. Same interface, broad beam, and 15 hrs. at 8 lumens claimed at low setting using an alkaline battery. When it arrived, I gave the EO5 a runtime test with a lithium battery from the same package used in the previous test, and saw a runtime on low setting of 21.5 hrs.

I do see a significant increase in the low setting light from the Fenix over the ITP, and in fact, it may be a little bright for some indoor nighttime functions, affecting night vision. The beam is very versatile, with a broad spill for nighttime as well as a brighter center which lends itself well to close daytime work. I really like the flashlight. The runtime is far superior to that of the A3, and low setting output is definitely an improvement for daytime use. And, I will confess that in spite of my admiration for the A3, I am put off by the extravagantly exaggerated claim for low setting runtime. Nevertheless, I love the flashlight and will definitely keep it handy for nighttime.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Osalsa, how does the brightness compare on medium and high levels? I've carried the itp on my keychain for the last several months & never looked into other options.

I never tested the runtime of the A3 as I use NiMH & recharge pretty often. The exaggerated claims don't totally surprise me as itp's quality isn't quite up there with Fenix, Sunwayman, Surefire etc. Which light do you prefer (besides the runtime) & why?

osalsa

Newly Enlightened
civic77, I almost never use medium and never high setting. The main reason is that I very rarely need them. Main reason number two is that I hate having the battery fail when I need some light, so I avoid unnecessarily shortening its life! But I did compare them just now, and the ITP seems a little brighter on both medium and high. It definitely has a whiter light, and the spot is more focused and discrete. That's on a white wall in dim daylight from a distance of about 30 inches. The ITP A3 is a terrific light, as evidenced by its wide popularity. But if I had to choose, it would be the EO5. Big reason, as you say, is runtime. Fewer battery replacements! The brighter light on low is a real plus when reading small print, and when doing tasks too numerous to mention. For example, I always wear my light around my neck, with a fabric tape wrapped around the barrel as a cushion. If I'm working with tools and need more light on whatever, I just reach in my shirt with one hand, pull it out, put it between my teeth and twist it on. Then both hands are free. I don't even think about it any more. Although the '1.5 lumens' from the ITP is almost always sufficient, '8 lumens' is obviously much better. One gets spoiled quickly, right? The downside, and I've seen it mentioned by others, is that '8 lumens' is often overkill indoors at night. For some of us over 60, that's several times a night!

Wolf359

Enlightened
I use a fenix E01 at night,it is just right lumens wise so the bleeding cat does not trip me up and start yowling waking everybody up. The E05 looks to be a nice upgrade for those rare times i need more light and currently have to switch a the main hall light.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I just bought one myself (in stainless steel guise) replacing the Quark Mini XM-L as my edc. I still love the Quark, it's plenty bright when you need it especially on rcr123. But the E05 is just so tiny! Not even half as bright as the Quark Mini but it's amazingly bright for its size! And the ss is just beautiful.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Osalsa, thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. I think I might have to pick up the E05 in the future, I like my itp but it is getting pretty beat up on my work/house keys. I tend to use the light in the daytime so the low setting doesn't get too much use from me and it too dim to be usable during daylight hours. I am not overly concerned about runtimes as I usually have another larger light (2 cr123a/18650 light) on me or located close by. Late night trips around my house I have a lovely Quark 123^2 on my bedstand with a Nichia 219 that offers moonlight mode and turbo brightness. Perhaps the E05 would see more use in low mode since it is brighter.

On a sidenote I love the stainless steel look and have always have a softspot for Fenix, I just worry the SS might be too heavy for a keychain light. I'm not usually a person who worries about weight of lights/knives but I have lots of keys for both work and personal use and together they are bulky and heavy. Does stainless steel tend to wear better than ha aluminum when serving duty as a keychain light?

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Does stainless steel tend to wear better than ha aluminum when serving duty as a keychain light?

Yes sir, SS will stay looking new for much, much longer than aluminum; it's much harder. I've seen a few guys carrying them for awhile on key rings and they still look almost new. Now if I could only find a SS maratac AAA!

Latest posts