SureFire M3 Turbo vs. Streamlight UltraStinger

C

Cameron203

Which one of these lights the SureFire M3 Turbo or the Streamlight UltraStinger is going to be brighter up close? and at a reasonable distance? And will the brighter light be noticeabley brighter? Also where is the best prices on these models. I am buying a SureFire 6P for my g/f and I haven't found anyone cheaper than SUreFires' website at 56 dollars.

Thanks alot first time poster. And please your opinions on both lights. Thanks again.

rlhess

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF where the stock answer is "buy both" as they meet slightly different needs <smile>.

The lights are relatively equal in my opinion.

The bigger question is rechargeable vs. disposable batteries.

Also accessories vs. just a light.

The M3T with the stock MN15 lamp will be a little less bright than the US but will cover a larger area. It will run for an hour off 3 123s (more or less).

With the 20-minute turbo lamp that I think comes with it, (the MN16) you'll definitely light up a larger area than the US and it will be as bright.

With the 1-hour MN2 lamp, you'll have a hair less light than the MN15, but it will throw as far or farther--and still cover a circle as big or bigger than the US.

The US will focus to a wider circle while the M3T is fixed focus.

Replacement lamps for the US are a lot less expensive.

I prefer disposable batteries, but if you're using it every day, rechargeables make sense.

With that said, in my L4 and KL1 (on E2e) I do use PILA rechargeables, but keep disposable batteries as in-use backups should the rechargeables run down.

Both are fine lights. I think the M3T is a bit shorter than the US and lighter.

I don't really have an M3T--I have an L6 with a KT-4 accessory turbohead--which is really the same thing.

I have posted numbers in this thread

Oh, and I gave a good friend of mine an US as a housewarming present. It was an amazing house and they needed it to see around their property <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I looked around a little for good prices for you.
Meridan Tactical has the 6P for $45.95 Also check the Dealers Forum I think there is a deal for about $40, but I don't know if it's to late.
http://store.yahoo.com/meridiantactical/6porclas.html
It seems that not to many dealers stock the M3T. Bulldog lists the M3T for $215, but I don't think they are in stock. You might want to give Howard a call.
http://www.bulldogenterprises.com/merchant.cci?step=4&id=226&pid=226
LAPolicegear had the best prices I found on the UltraStinger $89.99 with both AC & DC chargers
http://www.lapolicegear.com/stul.html

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have several good flashlights the US may be the cheaper way to go.

HOWEVER, it is a big no-no if you are going to rely on a rechargeable flashlight as your sole good flashlight.

When the power goes out for an extended period and you have no way of recharging your flashlight AND you can't dump the battery out and pop in regular disposables you are going to be in big trouble.

I'd rather see both of you get 6P's, buy a $15 Energizer Fluorescent lantern and only THEN buy something like the US or M3T.

Buy the time you buy that and stick around for a couple weeks here at CPF you might have enough info to decide for yourself which is best for you.

GregR