4sevens Maelstrom mm-s/mm-x issue

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
So i now have a maelstrom mm-x which i've been wanting to replace my mm-s which had mode issues. The mm-s wouldn't go thru all the modes sometimes it would seem for no reason. now that i have the x7, g5 and mm-x to compare, the issue is coming back to haunt me. the mm-x apparently doesn't like certain batteries. i used a samsung icr18650-30a in the light and it only has 2 modes. the light worked on 4 modes when the battery was fresh off the charger at 4.35v. now that it's dropped down to 4.28v it only works in 2 modes when you twist the head. i put in 2 efest imr18350's in and the 4 modes are back. their voltage is at 4.11v each. i put in an ultrafire (yeah, yeah: i know) LC 18650 2400mAh battery showing 4.20v and the light works perfectly. I then tried a sony us18650gr 2550mAh and it worked kind of ok, but the moonlight mode is now in a bandwidth so narrow, that when i twist the head, it must be in precisely the right spot or it will either turn of or go to low mode. I used the same batteries in the x7 and g5 and no problems whatsoever. because these are going to leo's, i want to make sure they won't have issues. so, what gives?

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have probably already done this, but clean the threads with alcohol and use some Deoxit on all the contacts. If one battery seems to be working well consistently, maybe use it several nights in a row, checking voltage and recording it each night. Then call up Four Sevens. I know it is a drag to send anything back for repair, but FourSevens has been outstanding with customer service and fast turnaround times. The other option would be to send it to Vinh and have a new programable driver installed. Good luck.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. cleaned it already. the problem seems to stem from the voltage range of the battery. i use more than one samsung in the testing, and the 2nd one was fresh off the charger at 4.33v. it still repeated the issue. i still miss my mm-s, though. i sent the link to this to hkj: maybe he can chime in with graph comparisons and charts that might simplify solving the issue before i get back to foursevens.

HKJ

Flashaholic
i sent the link to this to hkj: maybe he can chime in with graph comparisons and charts that might simplify solving the issue before i get back to foursevens.

Sorry, I have not used these foursevens lights and I cannot see anything obvious from your explanation.

ven

Flashaholic
Dont know on the light as dont own,but could issue be with the cell length making better contact than others.........only a thought.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Dont know on the light as dont own,but could issue be with the cell length making better contact than others.........only a thought.
This is the first thing that occurs to me as well. Never noticed any issues with different 18650 brands in testing on my samples - but I don't have many of the brands described above.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang it!!! there are times when i really can't stand you guys! it was staring me right in the face...but it took all of you to slap me upside the head to see it. it's the battery length!!! Protected vs. unprotected. the extra length of the protected cells or 2 shorter cells together work perfect. Thanks guys...i knew you'd come thru. DOH! it was so simple. where's the emoticon for kicking yourself?