• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TNT Surefire X-series (Z2X, 6PX, G2X, G2ZX) modding service...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
This modding service is continuation of my thread on possibilities for modding new Surefire X-series (Z2X, 6PX, G2X, G2ZX) into more potent EDC... more details can be found here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...g-Surefire-X-series-!!!&p=4586092#post4586092

In the meantime I've modded quite the few (single-emitter or multi-emitter) with various driver combos so now I'm being asked about pricing more often... This is the breakdown of possibilities with these beauties (my favorite is Z2X, of course)... note that base price turns the bezel into fully functional upgrade ready for use (at 1.5Amp capable of running also on two primary cells); quad needs additional upgrades for completion...

BASE PRICES:
-------------

$84 New LED (XPG2/XPE2/219B) + 20mm CuPCB + 101-AK-A1 linear driver, 1.5Amp, pre-set custom modes per wish...
$162 Quad upgrade base (XPG2/219B) + 20mm CuPCB (VERY LIMITED STOCK)... needs additional upgrades from the list below...

UPGRADES:
-----------

$7 XPL HI or XPL HD upgrade (only for single emitter mod)
$4 Boost linear driver from 1.5Amp to 3Amp (double-stack, heatsinked)
$8 Boost linear driver from 1.5Amp to 4.5Amp (triple-stack, heatsinked); only for XPG2/XPL single emitter or XPG2/219B Quad setup
$8 Upgrade driver to direct drive MOSFET driver with custom modes per wish (only for XPG2 or XPL single LED mod)
. . . NOTE: Quad setups with direct drive multimode driver requires switch capable of +10Amp currents; not available upgrade at this point)
$12 Driver firmware upgrade to LuciDrvFT (fully user programmable driver; applicable to both linear and direct drive multimode driver)
$26 Replace stock plastic lens/lens retaining ring with Xeno black flat stainless steel bezel ring & glass lens (recommended for Quad)
$10 Mandatory for opening sent host (if complete host is sent); removing bezel from the body for the process of modding
. . . NOTE: Surefire uses Red Loctite on threads and removing is sometimes impossible w/o damage to bezel or body)
$30 Boring the Z2X or 6PX body (if shipped together with bezel) to accept 18650 cells
$30 UPGRADE LEDs TO XPL HI in Quad setup (4 LEDs, perfectly matched Vf)

$30 HACS upgrade (High Amp Custom Switch) - heavily modified Judco 10Amp switch to fit Z41 tailcap, MANDATORY for Quad with MOSFET driver... Reverse clicky, low resistance, heavy gauge spring (cells in mod are safe between two heavy gauge spring for stress protection), lock-out feat kept (must for this kind of hot-rod), gap on the body as with regular McClicky upgrade...

Info post about HACS and photos of the monster:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-quad-setups&p=4632492&viewfull=1#post4632492

. . .

NOTE:

Quad upgrades are directly relying on availability of quad copper PCBs... they are not available from any vendors and I only have couple available for modding beside few that I have set aside for already spoken for builds...

HACS (High Amp Custom Switch) heavily modded Judco 10Amp switch (MANDATORY for Quad MOSFET build):

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tana, can the quad upgrade be applied to the Fury? Thanks!

Not sure... but these G2X/6PX bezels can be found for around $20-30 (involves buying G2X or 6PX then selling parts not needed) so no reason to be concentrated solely on Fury...

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Quad XPG2 made... letting it cure between two operational quads (219B and XPG2)... in front two HACS... took a whole day to mod both of them... :)

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can't, by themselves... it involves buying a G2X or 6PX then selling parts you don't need...

Sorry if I was misleading at first that it's easier to find them on their own... :) Post edited...

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's alright, I got excited for a minute.
Surefire stuff over here is overinflated in price, the used ones go for more than you pay for new in the States.
P

ronsmith7980

Newly Enlightened
Not sure... but these G2X/6PX bezels can be found for around $20-30 (involves buying G2X or 6PX then selling parts not needed) so no reason to be concentrated solely on Fury...

Thanks Tana. I am searching the interwebs now for a suitable donor to get this project started. I love the way your quad upgrade turned out with the GITD ring. I will contact you soon via PM to get a quote for the entire project, but I want to throw everything you got at it. I am even thinking of having the body blasted and have it anodized a new color.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tana. I am searching the interwebs now for a suitable donor to get this project started. I love the way your quad upgrade turned out with the GITD ring. I will contact you soon via PM to get a quote for the entire project, but I want to throw everything you got at it. I am even thinking of having the body blasted and have it anodized a new color.

What could be done with P2X is either keep original LED (should be XML2 in high bin), install new MOSFET driver (direct drive in high mode) with LuciDrvFT, user programmable firmware (set your own modes as you wish) - this should push it into "red zone" and make around 1000 OTF lumens on high, if not few more (it will get hot quick on high, though)... or use 3Amp linear driver which is also optimized for single li-ion use, gives more output and will get hot slower on high (again, user programmable firmware)...

Then bore the body for 18650 cells and gut the original tailcap and install McClicky kit (or replace tailcap with OR Triad or Cryos grippy tailcap)...

Of course, even LED can be replaced with new one, XML2 or XPL, either latest higher bin or maybe warmer color (we can't be sure which bin Surefire uses originally but we can see if the tint is maybe too cold for our taste)... Warm white Fury comes to mind...

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Z2X back from Tana, it is mind blowing! I was already in love with the gorgeous perfect black HA that it had, and after the mod it's just a beast of a light! Mine sports a XPG2 5000K Quad with FET driver and LuciDrvFT firmware optimized for FET... bored body to accomodate 18350 and tailcap with HACS switch (high amperage customized switch) to withstand the current.

Switching this beast on has a solid feel thanks to the amazing switch it's got, it makes a nice crisp click and voila! Pure brightness, amazing throw, perfect tint, and good looks.. all in small compact package.

Thanks Tana!

CONTROL

A UFO HAS LANDED!

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, not far at all! I sorta thought so. I still have friends near there. Small world!

BingoBongo

Newly Enlightened
Today i get my modded with a Nichia 219B 6PX from Tana!
First,its the best what a 6PX can happend!
The Beam was perfect with no Rings in the Beam and the LED was 100% centered! Very clean work, No dings or marks from the opening!
The 18650 bore was perfect also the fitment.

Tana did a awesome job and a must have for every 6PX!!!

Thanks!!!!

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
yeah - get my z2x from tana:

xp-l 5000k, direct drive mosfet driver, awsome 21700 lux! :rock:

IMG_20150713_165206.jpg

perfect build, thank you buddy!