So I've been sitting here thinking about the sun -

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I\'ve been sitting here thinking about the sun -

and this might be strange coming from me after ribbing Joe about being stoned when he typed out his thread about light and relativity,

but THINK ABOUT IT, it's 150 MILLION KILOMETERS AWAY, and even tho it's so damn far away, it's HOT ENOUGH TO BURN US FROM THERE! i mean, yeah, it can make the sweat bead up and the underwear chaffe, but BURN US.
sheesh.
i'm having one of my in-awe-moments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Re: So I\'ve been sitting here thinking about the sun -

Have you ever read "Inconstant Moon", by Larry Niven? Your post reminded me... As does every bright full moon.

--Bob

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i can't say that i have.
but i will if you're reccomending it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

But, if you are orbiting the planet and step out of the space vehicle, it is freezing. Am I right about that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

scuba

Enlightened

We have a windchill of -40 this morning here...

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
But, if you are orbiting the planet and step out of the space vehicle, it is freezing. Am I right about that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes because there is no reflective material. However if you could hold one side of the space ship to the sun it would eventually overheat. This is why they rotate in space.
Just think if there were a set of adjustable mirrors in space to direct, and reflect sunlight, we could essentially make a "hot spot" anywhere in the world. Or light any battlefield, or turn night into day at any given time, and place. Unfortunately someone would figure out that by focusing the light you could create a pinpoint inferno, and they would turn it into a weapon.
Hope those alpahabet soup companies aren't monitoring.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the elaboration of that. Makes sense to me!

But, you have also made an interesting point about the mirror thing. Being able to turn night into day at a time of war or even catastrophe! It would be quite beneficial!

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
Thanks for the elaboration of that. Makes sense to me!

But, you have also made an interesting point about the mirror thing. Being able to turn night into day at a time of war or even catastrophe! It would be quite beneficial!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah just think, we could do away with nuclear weapons, wars, and soldiers. We could roast people in a milisecond, by just entering gps locations. I agree it COULD be a good thing, but then there is also the element of bad that always seems to take these thing over. Imagine being able to clear snow covered highways to eliminate wrecks. Or heat up places like Buffalo, when people are freezing to death. We could even have the worlds brightest spot/rescue light. Now theres a flashaholic thought fer ya!

Luff

Enlightened

Also good for weather control ... spot heat super cells before they can produce tornadoes & hurricanes ... but I agree, the ant under the manifying glass scenario would be a most probable end esult.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sitting and thinking about the sun, eh? You definitely get better weed than I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Atleast if he stays away from 'cid, he'll just think about it instead of staring at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif