"Add on" external optics for Arc LS and SF L series

Phil_B

Enlightened
\"Add on\" external optics for Arc LS and SF L series

Has any research been done or ideas put forward in this area? Seems sensible to me,just slip on something resembling (or being) a telescope eyepiece to the front of your led light to alter the characteristics.
Not big to carry,reasonable robust,potentially cheap. Only downside I can think of is more glass/air surfaces. Multicoated lenses should help here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It would tighten up the flood on my L4 no end,then take it off for a lovely wok light again.
Did I mention I love my L4? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Re: \"Add on\" external optics for Arc LS and SF L s

OT.
I'm sorry. I know its a typo (make them all the time myself) but a "wok" light struck me as being a little "too" specialized!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \'\'Add on\'\' external optics for Arc LS and SF L

Most slip on beam shapers that i know of diffuse the beam, not the other way round. Only exception to this i have heard of is the fresnel lens for the tektite series, but they are designed to work with multiple 5 mm LEDs. Not sure how well they would work on a single luxeon. You could always play with half acrylic balls from the sandwhiche shoppe.

TheFire

Enlightened

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but won't the LS4 have the same diamater head as (and thus be at least somewhat compatible with) some surefire beamshapers?

Phil_B

Enlightened

I got the impression that the beam shapers were to do the opposite of what's required here,ie; to spread the light. I want a clip on option that gives two torches(flashlights) in one with minimal bulk.Wide (ish) spread and a concentrated spot.
Has this not been done before? Surely this is not an original idea.Are you listening Surefire? Of course not...