Li-Ion novice with some questions

ICCAFSN

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've avoided Li-ion batteries for the longest time due to the potential for fire/explosion/death, but now I don't have a choice. I haven't been on the CPF forums for a very long time and am trying to catch up with lithium battery technology.

I have an older Ryobi Lithium 4V handheld power screwdriver that was left unopened in its original packaging for many years and the battery died [i.e. won't hold a charge] (probably due to excessive self-discharge). I got around to disassembling the screwdriver and found a Li-ion battery with tabs. The printing on it identifies the cell as a "LS IMR-18650BB" on the top row. A bottom row contains "YS1088.20022735 Made in China". I'm looking to replace lithium cell with a suitable replacement. It looks like I need to purchase an IMR (LiMn) battery, but I don't know what the capacity of my original cell is. Does the replacement's battery's capacity matter? The screwdriver is typically charged by plugging a DC adapter to a plug at the base of the handle and delivers 160mA at 4.5V.

Also, I've been looking for IMR 18650's with tabs and have only been able to find some Sony US18650VT or Sony US18650V3 batteries on eBay. Many 18650's with tabs aren't IMR, and other 18650's that are IMR don't have tabs. Does anyone know of any other reputable seller of 18650 IMR's with tabs?

Thanks

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction has Tenergy IMR 18650 tabbed batteries. They are only rated at 2600mAh which is probably more than the factory battery in your driver. Battery capacity doesn't matter provided the battery has as good or better capacity than what you had.

ven

Flashaholic
Can get samsung 25r 2500mah INR cells that have tabs----------good cells and 20a rated:)