headlamp ?

carnage

Enlightened
Is there any health risk having battery pack on your head? I remember reading something about it somewhere but I forgot where it was.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
Not particularly. Headlamps are widely used in industry, by emergency services, and military with no serious health concerns that I've heard of.

If the battery pack is working normally, the only real concerns might come from excessive pressure on the head, or weight. Realistically, never a problem.

If the pack fails (highly unlikely), and fails in a dangerous manner (extremely unlikely), then having it near any part of your body might be bad. However, the incredibly remote chance of any injury is indicated by how widely Headlamps are used. Pretty much any item in everyday life could be dangerous to you in some unlikely circumstance!

D6859

Enlightened
Using a 2x li-ion battery configuration possesses the risk of another cell getting empty faster than the other. It may cause even a risk of explosion when charging (or when using the headlamp too, iirc). Anyway, a protected cell should stop the current when the voltage drops below 2.7 V and even the 2x li-ion battery pack with protected cells should be safe to use. Unfortunately, there are cheap xxxxfire brands that claim their cells are protected even when they're not.

Found this: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...ack-cree-xm-lt6-led-bicycle-light-837382.html - Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light
Similar lights with different battery packs are sold as headlamps. Even my little brother bought one but soon replaced the batteries with protected ones after I asked him to.

Last edited: